Engine Removal

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Puma2001

Hi,

Think my engine on the way out after a failed thermostat..... Failing head gasket,

just looking on forum and web can't seem find a removal guide, should i invest in the fiesta Haynes manual? also found this link http://fordguides.co.uk/topic/2510-fiesta-mk4-engine-removal/ sound about right?

Then need source an 1.7

cheers

Agree with that guide in the most part. Few things -

Hubs I normally do after underneath, just because its a bit safer to have the wheels still on while you're doing the gear linkage / exhaust / rear mount.

Head shield doesn't need removing if you split the exhaust at the flange behind the flexi and leave the manifold and cat on there.

Bumper doesn't need to come off. Radiator job will depend whether you have air con, rad will normally need to stay in the bay if so. Or you can take the AC rad and pipes off in one go but it needs to be recovered. Few ways to approach that and I would normally suggest strip and get things out the way but that does depend who does it and with what facilities.

Also need to deal with the PAS pipes, again will differ based on AC fitment.

Where is the car?

Cheers Ian, I've now come across this guide http://www.projectpuma.com/viewtopic.php?t=7559 ??

I'm based in Bolton, I'll be doing all work myself first timer for a engine swap .....

It's only nuts and bolts at the end of the day. You'll be fine doing it following some sort of guide, just do things logically and get lots of pots and labels for the bolts etc. because doing it first time you're not going to remember where they all go afterwards.

Also it'll be faster if you don't disconnect absolutely everything from every join possible if that makes sense. Leave as m much attached to the engine and gearbox as possible because it's easier to swap things over if needed onto another engine outside the car.

I personally always remove bumper because it makes visibility and getting the engine out underneath easier.

Latest posts

Back