Engine swap Cost? Cam Belt Broke

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jrs1996

My cambelt has just slipped off so pretty sure the engine will be knackered.

How much would it be to swap a new 1.4 engine in?

Is it better just to scrap it or sell it to some one on here to put another engine in and buy another puma.

Im really pissed because its a great car and even the rear arches are pretty good.

What should i do dont really want to scrap it seems a bit of a waste.

lesson learnt dont trust some one when they tell you the cam belt was done in 2011

Cam belt being done can mean its just as likely to go later, its not a job that many people get right the first time.

Although the 1.4 should be easier.

I've got no 1.4 in stock but I can source one if you fancy the job of fitting it. How many miles on the car?

101000 miles i dont think i would be able to do the engine swap myself.
im used to working on bikes this is my first car.

cambelt has not actually snapped just slipped of sideways could this be due to being fitted wrong or is it just wear?

how much do you think you could get a 1.4 for. If i could find someone who would help me do it. not really something id feel comfortable trying by myself.

is there anyone on here who would be willing to do it and how much would you want? im in B63 area.

if it's been 'guided' off the pulleys it's almost certainly the tensioner pulley which has become so worn it's caused the belt to vear out too much...

the 1.4 cambelt doesn't come as a kit (with tensioner) so I suspect someone has changed the belt and left the tensioner which is ridiculous as that's the parts which goes wobbly over years, not the belt!..

:x

el dude said:
if it's been 'guided' off the pulleys it's almost certainly the tensioner pulley which has become so worn it's caused the belt to vear out too much...

the 1.4 cambelt doesn't come as a kit (with tensioner) so I suspect someone has changed the belt and left the tensioner which is ridiculous as that's the parts which goes wobbly over years, not the belt!..

:x
probabley right with that then. just replaced had the fan belt tensioner replaced as that was making a noise but the engine was quiet after i had that done.

Stuck on my drive atm AA towed it home. The can belt has come off and wedged it self.
Does any one think it would be worth trying to get the belt back on. I know the timing will be out. Thought about taking the head off but its a lot of work to find out I've wasted my time

Back