Exhaust hole sealer question

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sylvester

Hi

In the last few days my Puma has developed a deeper engine sound in lower rpm, unfortunately is due a hole on the system.
I bought this as a quick fix.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/321651587919?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I've found the hole, but of course, it's a nearly unreachable to me. The hole on the pipe is under the driving seat, but not the metal pipe, that would be too easy, but on the barell thing, which is covered in a net kind thing, probably it's called down pipe. This one:
http://www.fordpartsuk.com/shop/ford_mondeo_flexible_exhaust_down_pipe_diesel_2003-2007_motorcraft_f_1518063_c_716.htm

To make things funnier, the hole is just on the top, below the heat shield, so I can barely fit my index finger there :?
So the question is, can I put that paste I bought, if I can manage somehow, on that net covered down pipe or because it's cover in that net, I can't really use it.

Thanks

The 'net' is a flexible section, put there to stop it snapping every time you give it some shoe. Paste will just break. I'd say replace the part...

Thanks for the reply.
MOT coming up soon, with rusty brake pipe and worn rear axle bush, that will cost me appr. £500, plus now this pipe +£300...not great news. If I get that flex pipe part from eBay can I change DIY, or needs welding?
UPDATE: Okay I've done a bit research and the flex pipe looks like a spring, covered in a metal wrap. I'm gonna ask the garage for the cost of replace, if too expensive, I'll do some DIY fix for now. Thanks.

£500 for brake pipe and axle bush...what are they using, gold plated items?
And £300 for the flexi pipe?

Might be easier and cheaper to simply replace the entire front pipe section from manifold back to the silencer and it is a diy job if you have the time and equipment.

As a rough guide my complete centre pipe and rear box cost £80 so cant see the front section costing a lot more

Just checked flea-bay....front flexi repair pipe £25 includes flange to bolt on then repair section slides over centre section

zinc2000 said:
[post]357007[/post] Just checked flea-bay....front flexi repair pipe £25 includes flange to bolt on then repair section slides over centre section
I've had a look on the net for a last few days and found this:http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ford-Puma-1-7i-16v-FE744-exhaust-flexi-flex-repair-front-pipe-1997-2002-/131327663477?fits=Car+Make%3AFord%7CModel%3APuma&hash=item1e93bd1d75:g:FXUAAOSwy4hURlaH

If those rusty screws will come off, can I just really slide that part on the other end of the exhaust and that's it? No welding needed?
Thanks

If it is described as "repair section" then there is no welding required, most manufactures do similar items for vehicles with factory "one piece" systems.

zinc2000 said:
[post]357020[/post] If it is described as "repair section" then there is no welding required, most manufactures do similar items for vehicles with factory "one piece" systems.

Okay, thanks. Probably next week I'll jump on the issue.

Back