exhaust shields rotting; carbon fibre??!!

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jacko

as per title the exhaust shields along the centre of the car are dying & starting to buzz as they vibrate & fall loose.

i could buy some from ford or...

i could make some carbon fibre versions that would hopefully last forever.

issues; carbon fibre will burn! the original ali ones wont. if they dont burn the resin may wilt & they change shape....

iv seen; loads of these on motorbikes / cossie turbo heat shields etc etc so im wondering if anyone knows if it will work as a wet lay epoxy resin or are they all prepreg?

For the sake of the £17ish the long centre one costs, just get a Ford one.

Getting CF to be heat resistant will be a fun challenge though. I can imagine big lumps of CF all over your classroom floor..

"Sorry sir, it's melted again"

CF with gold leaf like on the Moon lander? :lol:

And the carbon fibre resin will heat up and drop onto the red hot exhaust just mms away...

What about ceramic? :wink:

Mine got removed about 18 months ago and seems to be OK still up to now. It was rattling and knocking like mad. Took it to the local kwik fit (chavvy imbeciles) to look at it on the ramps. A couple of minutes later it was in the bin :lol:

without it the undefloor protection dries up & cracks exposing your chassis....not a huge worry but id like to replace them

mmmm, cf & gold leaf......! do they do silver leaf? i like to keep it oem of course!!!!

found out today from a new friend that the std expoxy resin i use is fine to 90 degrees c. need to go buy an IR thermostat & see how hot my exhaust gets. can get hi temp epoxies tho....

ceramic coating the exh is another option. bit pricey tho. but then so is the cf i spose!!!

of course theres always titanium & spend several weeks smashing it into shape......

Someone i know with a saxo vtr reckons his ehxuast gets up to around 300 degrees on a good run.

jacko said:
need to go buy an IR thermostat & see how hot my exhaust gets. can get hi temp epoxies tho....

Not hot enough to melt aluminium and hot enough to need a heat shield.

I'd imagine the cabin would get uncomfortably hot in summer without the heat shields too.

As the brake pipes run very close to the exhaust down that way, my heatshield will be staying, and replaced if broken.

to keep it oem i think i will replace the originals and just add a few unseen tweeks to stop them corroding.....!!!! iv been thinking again!!!!

Back