f*@#ing driveshaft

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ArtfulHussy

Puma wont relinquish her ns driveshaft. I'm trying to get the gearbox end out and it wont budge for love nor money. Really losing my patience with it. Is there some technique to this that I'm missing, or should it just pop out with a bit of force?

Yea, that one can be a pain :) there is a tol for removing it, a sort of wedge thing to pry it out, what i do is I take a large screw driver and just work it out, carefuly not to damage the gearbox

Unclip the CV boot and the shaft will come out leaving you the cup in the gearbox.

On the end of the cup there are slots which you can use to drift it out, few sharp jabs, spin to the next one and repeat.

Been there done that I found a four foot crowbar and a short sharp tug did the trick............on the 30th go

Ian G said:
Unclip the CV boot and the shaft will come out leaving you the cup in the gearbox.

On the end of the cup there are slots which you can use to drift it out, few sharp jabs, spin to the next one and repeat.

What Ian said ^^

When I did my clutch yesterday that shaft just wouldn't budge.
I didn't want to risk damaging anything so I ended up leaving the cup in the box :eek:k:

I need to get the cup out because i think the splines on the shaft might be munched. :( i will try ian's method, maybe tonight if it isn't too cold!

i always use a fork type ball joint splitter as a wedge/lever and steady taps with a lump hammer to dislodge the retaining clip inside, then wiggle by hand. never failed and havnt damaged a gearbox so far. just another option.

stumc said:
i always use a fork type ball joint splitter as a wedge/lever and steady taps with a lump hammer to dislodge the retaining clip inside, then wiggle by hand. never failed and havnt damaged a gearbox so far. just another option.
Pretty much this but, sometime using a chisel as a wedge gives a more seesaw motion.

Latest posts

Back