fault code p0172

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

puma78

Hi, need some help/advise, i've been getting this same fault code coming up for a few months now (car rarely driven) p0172 bank 1 sensor 1 fuel too rich. I've replaced both the Lambda sensors clearing the code each time but after a day or so it returns again. The engine runs smoothly, no issues with idling however it does level out above 3000 revs, so accelerates nicely up to around 3000 revs then it kind of hangs, will still increase speed but lacks power.

I've also checked the airfilter and the mass air flow which looks clean. Another thing which may or may not be relevant is that a year ago i had the fuel tank replaced and then there was a trapped fuel line, but not causing any problems with the running, was only picked up during m.o.t and was sorted.

Any help/advise will be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance.

I always find 'FIXD' a good help for clear, easy to follow diagnosis and fault tracing with codes that can be caused by multiple things. https://www.fixdapp.com/blog/p0172-code

Most likely an ignitions system fault.
Possibly a bad injector but those are actually pretty rare.
How old are your plugs, wires, and coil? That's where I would start.

Back