fault code reader/software

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deejames

i`ve seen quite a few posts regarding fault code readers and wanted to know what everyone thinks is the best way to go about doing it, a reader (quite cheap on ebay from what i can see) or the laptop option in which case what lead and software is needed? I have the engine warning light coming on occasionally and want to have a go at diagnosing and fixing it myself.

thanks in advance everyone!

Put your dash into diagnostic mode (Ignition off, press and hold reset button on odometer, start engine, keep pressing the reset until you get the fault codes on digital read out.) When you've got the code, look in "Under the bonnet" and you'll find a sub area called DTC codes, check your code against the list. Sorted.
Either that or buy a Scangauge 2 which will check up to 24 parameters and allow you to remove the codes (about £120 from ebay)

hotrodspike said:
Put your dash into diagnostic mode (Ignition off, press and hold reset button on odometer, start engine, keep pressing the reset until you get the fault codes on digital read out.) When you've got the code, look in "Under the bonnet" and you'll find a sub area called DTC codes, check your code against the list. Sorted.
Either that or buy a Scangauge 2 which will check up to 24 parameters and allow you to remove the codes (about £120 from ebay)

i did n`t think the dash diagnostic listed all the codes, but i will try - thank you :)

oilburner said:
There's some very good handheld scanners on Ebay well worth a look

yeah i`ve seen some of those - some are really cheap so not sure what one to go for, does anyone have one?

Dash board diags are worthless they only show you electrical faults with the dash

As long as you get one that reads OBD II you'll be ok its a very good investment saves you hours and hours of diagnostic work!

oilburner said:
As long as you get one that reads OBD II you'll be ok its a very good investment saves you hours and hours of diagnostic work!

thanks oilburner - i`m off to see what i can find . . .

Back