fiesta st brake upgrade (standard wheels)

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cmt

hi all :D i just bought a full brake system (front + rear) from a fiesta st, at a bargain :grin: but i have a big problem:reading threads here, i noticed that front brakes won't fit with standard props, so you need to space the wheel out at least 3mm... so, i would like to stay with the props and i don't have the money to dismantle the hubs and fit longer studs... and i found this 2 opportunity: 3mm spacer with standard studs or 15 mm eibach with "double" studs (pumaspeed). i even noticed that the 3 mm will produce a lot of vibration as they are not hubcentric and generally not perfectly coplanar (founded only cheap ones on 3mm), and i suspect that the 15mm ones could affect the handling due to the decreased ET (34-15=19). so... please, can someone help me? any ideas? ...any opinion/experience on handling effect would be appreciated :wink: PS: rear axle would not be a problem, as i will just take out the axle spacer if i go for the 3mm in the front, or mount discs with axle spacer if i go for the 15mm (discs increase widht about 13mm if i'm not wrong)

thanks alot :) i will finally go for that :eek:k: ...can you just give me an opinion on this set-up? is it a REAL improvement in braking power/ fading? i will use standard discs, sport "street" pads from ferodo and goodrige hoses, as this was the precedent owner set-up and pads and disc are still useable

Hi cmt hope ya brakes go well i have a querie are you changing front calipers and carriers?
i am hoping to change my front discs to 258mm from 240mm but can't work out if i need to change just carriers or calipers and carriers if i do go for the lot from a fiesta will i then have your problem as i to have props?

hi :wink: i am changing both calipers and carriers, but i'm not sure if i could mantain the original carriers... i will let you know as soon as i do the modify :wink: ...however i think you can just buy calipers/carriers from a scrap yard at the same price of only calipers, as they will maybe never sell the carriers without calipers :wink: there should be no problems with the 258 and props, my problem is just because i'm going for 278mm from fiesta ST

I found the ST setup to be a great improvement over standard, was using Mintex pads and Red dot discs so can't comment on your exact spec but will definitely stop you a lot quicker.

Only thing I noticed was the ABS kicked in a little early under hard braking but not much of an issue. Also my combination of pads and discs is squeaky as hell so watch out for that if you change items in the future.

Sounds good shame about the squeaks, my calipers (fiesta zetec-s) came today so gotta revamp them first but will post updates as i go, these go with 258mm drilled and grooved discs so hope i stop bit quicker to as get lots of fade at the mo.

Back