First Puma love it. Giving it full treatment, what I miss?

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tristan73

Hi all just got an 02 Puma 1.7 Thunder and loving it. engine in good nick but body work at rear is on the way with advisory.

So far:

Plugs, Oil/Petrol (zip tied up like last one lol) Filters, Oil
Cambelt, Tensioner, Water Pump
New brake discs hubs, pads, shoes. Still needs a good press to work but miles better and reduced snaking under breaking although still feel back end needs some work, bushes, suspension?
Removed all brakes, petrol tank spare wheel (what was left of it) and jacked the car up, removed as much rust as could. Looks better than I thought once I have it cleaned up then Hammerited complete underside and petrol tank. Pretty much everything except plastic fuel lines and rubber parts.
Removed wheel arch carpets!!! Not too bad underneath but cleaned them up, undersealed it all. Cleaned Arch sound proofing to an inch of their lives then coated in Water proof Wax and refitted.
Sanded down both all arches and minor filled/repairs to rears. Front just the odd bubble. Came up OK (from more then 2 feet away) and they look like they will last.
Headlights I have cleaned but think they are past toothpaste and elbow grease for a look matching rest of car. Are new (or very newish) ones still bad in the dark or is it just with age?
I am still not 100% with it round corners, it goes nuts (front and back end not doing same thing) with quick turning or sharp bends, usual?

Anyone suggest some good Puma (logo and line perhaps) Decals/Graphics and fitter in Wirral, Merseyside area? Silver car so think it needs something discrete.

Anyone seen one of these on: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FORD-PUMA-ROOF-SPOILER-/191562730756" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; any good?

Thanks and good job it only cost £370 but will end up with a well sorted motor for £900 and does twice the MPG of the BMW Mini.

T

The back end is veeeery lively in sharp corners. Lift-off oversteer is a common trait for small Fords, you just have to be ready to correct, and not over correct and spin round the other way.

TGPlayer1 said:
The back end is veeeery lively in sharp corners. Lift-off oversteer is a common trait for small Fords, you just have to be ready to correct, and not over correct and spin round the other way.

Which I have done several times. It is not enjoyable.

Me too. One time over steered turning right at a crossroads and frightened the life out of the man in the new Mercedes waiting at the lights as I squirmed towards him. I also needed some new trousers.

Latest posts

Back