First Track Day - Castle Combe

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Milkie

Me & my friend have a share in a Ford Puma. So we stripped out the interior, gave it a service, got it MOT'd and took it to our local track!

Morning session was wet, started misfiring at 4,500rpm. Checked the plugs/leads/connections and went back out. Kept it slow, changing at 4,000rpm due to it still misfiring. After that session it wouldn't idle, we worked out it was only running on 2 cylinders now..

We decided to take a trek to Eurocarparts and fitted a new coilpack. Drove it back to Castle Combe and it didn't miss a beat! Back in business and the sun is shining!

Here is a little video of some of the best bits from the day.. Including one car loosing a wheel at Quarry.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_Use1-qgIw[/youtube]

Things we now know from our Track Day... The brakes need some work we got a bit of brake fade, thinking EBC yellow stuff on the fronts. The back end needs lowering, after taking all the weight out the rear sticks up a little high.

Nice,
My local track, know Combe very very well.
Combe in the wet isn't nice and I am always wary about damaging the car.
Dry is another matter though..
Who did you do the day with? Motorsport Events?

Motorsport events? Who are they?

We booked through CCC website, it was £170 + £25 for another driver. There is another track day on the October 21st, thinking of going, but not sure yet.

Checked the engine over and we have noticed that the battery has leaked from the RH turns!? So we've got the Varley Red Top 15 battery to go in. Is it worth locating behind the passenger seat and will this be an MOT failure?

Also have some Black Diamond steel brake hoses to go on. Oh and glue the rear view mirror back on and change location of the phone on the windscreen!

http://www.motorsport-events.co.uk/index.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I paid £99 for two of us using two cars at Keevil airfield last month.
We did a deal where we used my FRP in the morning and a mates MGF after lunch.
Racked up 100 miles between the two cars.

Hullavington is by Junction 17 of the M4, Chippenham and Keevil is near Trowbridge.

Most I have paid for a trackday is £109 I think.
I got a special rate at Combe of £50 for half a day :grin:

Oh dear.. 2014 is going to a very expensive year. :roll:

I didn't realise there were so many other places so close to home! :cool:

Milkie said:
Oh dear.. 2014 is going to a very expensive year. :roll:

I didn't realise there were so many other places so close to home! :cool:

:cool:
Loads.
I know Ed & Natasha Moore who run Motorsport events quite well and they will just let me turn up and pay on the day.
Might see you at a track day next year.
Not got anything planned for the rest of the year now.
Join "Talk-Torque" local car club.
We always have a stand at all the action days at Combe, so you can come along and do track time.
I'm not on here that often as I moderate on the other Puma forum, but Ian who owns that forum also owns "Weekend Racer" and tracks and breaks Puma's
Graham

Latest posts

Back