Focus Gearbox

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JiiHu

Is it possible to install 1.6 Focus IB5 gearbox to 1.7 Puma? How it would affect to car's acceleration and fuel economy? Is the Focus gearbox strong enough for Puma?

I have a chance of getting one free instead of buying Puma gearbox with several hundred euros so it is quite tempting choice.

The gearbox itself is IB5 in both cases, so yes, it is strong enough. The gearing is different, though, in Focus is much taller. The revs would be lower, acceleration slower.
The problem is that in focus it is cable operated, in puma the selector is rod operated. I am not sure if those systems can be swapped. You would probably have to look out for gearstick mechanism from fiesta Mk6 or focus to get the gearbox operated

Thanks for the reply! Gearbox from Puma Bits might be easiest thing to do then. Is the selector thing same in all Focus'? I will get the exact Focus model later so that I know what exact engine it has etc.

No, you have to stick to the 1.4 or 1.6 models, I guess. They are using exactly the same IB5 gearbox (bar the cable selection). 1.8i (not diesel!) is also using IB5 gearbox, but since it is mated to a Zetec engine it has the starter at the back of it and the bell housing is different.
I think that's the way it is, if somene else could confirm this?

Back