Focus ST170

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PhilLew

I'm looking for another car (again) thinking about the Focus ST170,
Anybody got one, had one, driven one or got any opinions good or bad?

Cheers :thumbs:

From what I've been told by members on here, they are not all they are cracked up to be. Have a read of this topic as I asked the same question, sort of: http://www.projectpuma.com/viewtopic.php?nomobile=1&f=110&t=16143&p=202118&hilit=+St170#p202118" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hello mate, I had one!

Great car, quick but not rapid! Need to keep the revs up! Had a bit of work done on mine but they're fairly limited if you're trying to get much more power out of them (unless you can afford to go down the turbo charging/supercharging route!)

Hope you find a good 'un! :grin:

Here's my old one...
st3.jpg

Thanks Guys,

Tom, I would expect it to be slow compared to a MK1 RS or MK2 ST but I can't afford either of them. :-(

I just wanted to find out from someone who's got/had one if it's too slow to live with, it's slower than both the cars I currently have and is the slowest one on my shortlist but it's the most practical. (and it’s a Ford :grin: )

If anybody has any other suggestions, I've got a budget of around 2.5 to 3k for a quick practical everyday car, needs to be big enough to get a car seat in the back and a buggy in the boot (for the granddaughter).

Shortlist is:-
Clio 182 (but I think that’s a bit small),
Subaru Impreza wrx wagon (a bit too ‘boy racer’),
Civic type R
and the Focus ST.

Ginger Tom said:

Good cars, a mate had one that I've driven a couple of times, but.....
at the age/price I can afford they're getting to the time that they'll need the clutch doing and on a Mondeo that's a subframe off and engine out from under the car job , too much for me these days and best part of £1000 at a garage :-( I wouldn't buy any mondeo for that reason.

PhilLew said:
Ginger Tom said:

at the age/price I can afford they're getting to the time that they'll need the clutch doing and on a Mondeo that's a subframe off and engine out from under the car job , too much for me these days and best part of £1000 at a garage :-( I wouldn't buy any mondeo for that reason.

Totally disagree, watched one being done and it can definitely be done without removing the engine or totally dropping the subframe

Ginger Tom said:
Totally disagree, watched one being done and it can definitely be done without removing the engine or totally dropping the subframe
I wish I knew that before!
I was just going by what I was told when trying to get a 'reasonable' price for my dad's mondeo's clutch six months ago, several garages told the same story and the best price I got was £800 plus vat :-( :-( :-(

I had a brand new 02 plate ST170 quite easily the worst car I've ever owned. Couldn't have been more of a lemon if it had been yellow! Ford bought it back off me and I went and had a long and very happy relationship with an EP3 Civic Type R

Flying Scotsman said:
Yes but what are you doing with it?
Already gone :-(

http://www.projectpuma.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=16681" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I just stuck around here for the banter!!! :grin: :grin: :grin:

How about a wild card? Honda Accord Type R
4 doors, huge boot and it packs a 212 HP punch. Get one without the massive boot spoiler and everyone will think its a normal Accord!

Ginger Tom said:
PhilLew said:
Ginger Tom said:

It is possible but it's tricky and a lot easier to take the subframe off I've tried it both ways! Fords official line is that it needs to come off

oilburner said:
How about a wild card? Honda Accord Type R
4 doors, huge boot and it packs a 212 HP punch. Get one without the massive boot spoiler and everyone will think its a normal Accord!
Thanks. I'll have a look :grin:

I was looking at these a while back - good luck finding one with less than 130K on the clock!

I've seen ones still on the original engine and gearbox with over 200k on the clock it's a Honda remember!

Back