Ford IB5 gearbox adapter plate

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tom0

hi this is my first thread.
im doing a project, an electric conversion and joining this site will be a big help to finish it.
im about to join an electric motor to the original gearbox. the manufactures says it would be allot easyer for them to have the dimensions instead of measuring it themself.
so may i ask has anyone done a faceplate of a IB5 gearbox before. the thing I need to know is how far the dowell are from the centre, the size of the dowell, and the depth of the inlet shaft.
I know its allot to ask but this would be a big help because costom machining is exspensive

dude...awesome!

get a thread going cos i would love to do an electric car oneday (vx220??!!) and bolting a motor to the gearbox seems the easiest way...

you using a forklift / milkfloat motor? i've heard they struggle a bit at motorway revs..

anywho....im back in the workshop later this week....and i just happen to have an ib5 lying around! will measure the dowels but can draw around it on thin card and post you a template if you want? then the engineer can scan it and laser cut you a really neat plate...

ok, I will put up a thread in the project section. after I get the motor in then I have something to showoff.

heres the motor im using;
http://www.everything-ev.com/15-kw30kw-ac-induction-higher-speed-motor-p-461.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.avt.uk.com/page17.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am a fabucater so I will do as much as I can, but the dowells have to be spot on. so I will leave that to the manufacturer.
because costom machining is expensive I want them to do as little as possible. I only want them to drill the centre hole, the bolting holes for the motor and the holes for the dowells.

don't worry about the template I can outline the plate after clamping it to the gearbox and scribing a line around it.

so yes please, do you mind measuring the distance and the size of the dowels. and could you draw up the dimensions up on paint, nothing official. I know how to do engineering drawings, so I can make something up and give them that.
you are saving me a good bit of money by doing this, thanks dude!!!
I have a small room as a workshop but even the most basic measuring equipment can cost a bit.

Awesome man! I have built and engineered a couple of EV's allready in my life. What are you going to do for the battery pack? What location will you put them? What effect will this have on the handling of the car? Why did you choose for connecting the motor to the gearbox and not built it on the rear axle? How will the weight balance be affected? Are you going to reinforce the body of the car to the weight of the new components? Anyway too much questions for now :)

Let me know when you need any help, I am an (almost) Automotive Engineer, so I guess I should be able to help out some times :cool:

WOW I, I didn't know that I would get this much help on my first thread. :grin:
Ok lets see if I can answer some of your questions, :?
I'm going to put the battries in the boot and in the front because you need to keep the car balanced so the handling doesn't change. the car is front wheel drive and using the same gearbox lets me use and moddify the orignal engine mounts.

have a look at this video, its not a puma but it gives you the idea of what my project is about.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZEgTmtolnbw&feature=player_embedded" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and http://www.kiwiev.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
this person is the one who inspired me to do this project.

cool

I will prob have to run around tomorrow and build some powersteering pipes....see how long that takes.

will def be in the workshop on mon, im off this week and its a 40 mile round trip to work!!

No mention of his range on those videos :lol:

Edit, just said it - 60km on a charge.

Cost him $12k :oops:

Need to do a few miles to make that back.

thats ok, take your time. if can do it on thursday that would be great, but if not i don't mind waiting till monday.
thanks

yeh. will be mon :-(

i worked out that my £8 commute would be £2 in electric!!! (not to mention half of that at least would be charged at work for free!!!)
thats why im quite keen to do one of these projects...already made an electric skateboard using brushless motors and lithium batteries, next is a 30mph electric gokart....after that....vx220 ev??!!!

best bit is; electricity will NEVER, EVER be taxed like petrol, little old ladies with electric heaters can't afford it. i imagine fast charging at stations will be taxed to high heaven tho....

bad news is without having the block here i can't tell which one is a dowel hole, im sure theres only 2 but theres about 5 holes that could take a dowel!!!

there also not in line with each other and the centre....i wouldn't like to measure / draw because there would be a mistake somewhere!

good news is that as soon as my 5th gear puller arrives i have no use for the casing....your welcome to the bellhousing half if you cover postage....then you can give it straight to engineer and if they muck up the drawing it's their fault!!! :)

tom0 said:
WOW I, I didn't know that I would get this much help on my first thread. :grin:
Ok lets see if I can answer some of your questions, :?
I'm going to put the battries in the boot and in the front because you need to keep the car balanced so the handling doesn't change. the car is front wheel drive and using the same gearbox lets me use and moddify the orignal engine mounts.

But still the handling will surely change.. If you want I can run the calculations through and see what effect it will have.. I think I have some Matlab-files around somewhere with some Puma data in it allready, just need to modify offcourse for the changed weights..

lol, ok!

will have a better look tomorrow, rushed off feet today.
still think the engineer making the plate should have the part rather than a drawing from me, don't want to do something wrong in the drawing! i know my main engineer is like that with weird jobs but give him the bits and let them do it and it all comes back perfect.

or....

i could knock up a template from 6mm mdf and drill thru the bellhousing to get all the holes spot on....

I think that I should give the gearbox to the manufacturer so he can measure it. if they have it with them while the plate is being made. because of this they can see if it fits on ok.

thanks for trying anyway :)

its the way id go having thought about it....

that way if they come across any issues they'l be able to sort them or advise you there and then

Back