Front Wishbones

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gigglebug

Hi all

Does anyone know if the genuine front wishbones are made under licence now by Motorcraft? I've had a set come through from ford parts UK but need to know if they are the same dimensions as the originals as they are being polybushed so need to be the right size. Only got them as I've found out that the wishbones on my car are pattern part copies so the bushes don't fit properly. Would be good to know for sure before I start messing so I can avoid taking one apart only to find they are no good again.

Cheers all

I have a set of used genuine Ford wishbones I can supply, needing rebushing, for a nominal amount in beer tokens.

Thanks for the offer Catweasel but it looks like the ones I've already bought will be the same so I've got peace of mind for a good few years to come.

I've got to wait to get the car back into the garage to have the new wishbones and polybushes fitted as he's flat out so was wondering if there was anything else at the front I should be changing as a matter of course at the same time? It's only done 45K but it's 15 years old as they all are. If there's anything obvious I'll get them ordered up and delivered so it can all be done at the same time. Droplinks?

If I were keeping the car, I would also be renewing the track-rod-end ball joints, roll-bar bushes, drop links, top-mount bushes and pivot bearings. Followed by 4 wheel tracking.

Cheers Yog. The roll bar bushes are done already as part of the full bush kit I bought and it will have a full four wheel alignment done when I've finished playing. That's quite a list, but yes it is a keeper. Is there an order of importance if funds don't allow it all to be done now?

£150 for genuine drop links and track rod ends from Fordparts UK. What is the pivot bearing Yog? I've just no idea and searching isn't bringing up a lot to point in the right direction.

I've still got fully polybushed front wishbones to fit along with new droplinks and track rod ends, all genuine Ford parts, to the Puma but there is still a bit left in the kitty so I have been looking into replacing the dampers and springs as well so that I can have a good few years trouble free motoring ahead of me (fingers crossed!). It seems that buying parts from Germany is the cheapest way to go and at the moment I've priced up two alternatives, both come out at near enough the same price.

Bilstein B4 shocks with Bilstein B3 springs all round or;

Bilstein B6 all round using the original springs.

The cars a 2001 on 46K. I'm not looking to lower it in any shape or form with the Eibach springs no longer available, plus I've gone for standard droplinks so standard ride height it is. I also don't want to completely knacker the ride but I would sacrifice some overall comfort for flatter cornering and a little less understeer.

Assuming there is no visible damaged or corrosion to the springs are they likely to have deteriorated massively in the period of time and usage or is it just good practice to change them at the same time as the dampers?

Has anyone good experience with the B6's and original springs that can describe the difference that they made over standard dampers?

Has anyone experience with the polybushes on standard suspension, are they likely to bring a good bit difference by themselves?

Ans lastly, if coilovers are height adjustable can they be run at standard Puma height or are they low and just go lower? Would this be an option as they are developed together and if so which are the better one's?

Regards all

Ah, I see. Cheers again Yog. Would I need to change both the black rubber part and the metal bearing at the same time or do folks just do the bearing's? The mechanic I use did do a visual check a while back and said that the rubber parts were in good shape as far as deterioration is concerned.

"Visual check"? You can't tell the state of them, until removed.
They compress over time and also harden:

Ah that's just me being mistaken then. I asked him to do a visual check on the suspension components when I had new brakes fitted. I assumed that it was one of the parts that would have been checked, clearly not. Is that picture yours Yog or borrowed? If it's yours did you go for original Ford or one of the other makes, Febi/Sachs?

Picture from ScubaSteve's project:
http://www.projectpuma.com/viewtopic.php?f=64&t=7681

Worth a read, if you have plenty of spare time!

I replaced my top mounts with Ford originals.

I don't suppose you know if this is the correct bearing for the Puma do you Yog? I've found the number in a couple posts;

http://www.fordpartsuk.com/shop/ford_fiesta_front_shock_absorber_bearing_1995_f_1002513_c_427.htm

Latest posts

Back