FRP 281 back on the road.

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jpbaillie

I've owned 281 since 2011 and originally used her as my daily driver before deciding the Puma was no replacement for my Ibiza, it was just too firm and low geared. I ran her as a toy for a while until a couple of years ago when I couldn't justify the cost of running her and only doing 800 miles a year.

Having done the annual brake rebuild and major service I put her away and mostly forgot about the Puma for a year and a half (she was run up once a month at least). The other day I was driving an early 996 GT3 and had a eureka moment, cars don't drive like this anymore except for the one I have being completely unused in my garage.

281 is now taxed and ready to go and after one day driving her I am just as happy to own one as I was on the first drive. They might not be fast in a straight line but despite driving all sorts of exotic cars the Puma still feels special. I have a Scirocco as my daily and they should be pretty similar being sporty coupes but modern cars just don't touch the keyed in feeling of the best cars from the turn of the century. I've also owned a 172 cup and GTI 6 and despite great engines and good handling the Puma is a cut above.

Anyone else having a renewed love for their FRP? I think because I hadn't driven it for so long I'd forgotten how good they were. I have also had a thorough look around mine and all it needed was a new battery and clock (lost a line), the aux belt now squeaks ( I need to replace it) and the tyres/cambelt are now 5 years old but otherwise everything is spot on, the a/c is still cold. I was pretty extreme with rust proofing when I bought her so that's all good. I left a 156 for 6 months and everything failed.

Sorry for babbling on but I am delighted to have the car back.

Yep delighted, that was definitely a post written after too much sun and cider, all true though. I haven't got a clue what you could replace an FRP with without spending serious money.

Latest posts

Back