FRP 418

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paulob1

Okay thought i would start a thread on 418...

just waiting for the documents to come back so i can drive it about and sort out all the running gear but first plan is to replace the ball joints, wheel bearings and bushes for poly, then take her over to chris at lightning to fit the new engine...he is currently working on it...

going with a gt28r and aiming for 350 bhp...not expensive either...will be way too much for the puma but I have started now so will finish it..

going with bigger rotors and 6 pot front brakes, rears not too worried about...will remove the rear seats and put the battery in the back to give more space than anything else....may or may not fit roll cage...

okay am crap at all this admin...i just want to drive the things...you will want a list of items and things next oh bother...

as she is now, all cold and frosty...

puma418.jpg

will do...got to take the head to chris and will hopefully have it all fitted within 3-4 weeks...loads to do...

If its a standard GT28R, your going to struggle to get 350bhp out of it, it generally only flows enough for 300bhp, then it goes outside of its effeicency range and blows too hot air. I hope to be proven wrong though, if you do get 350, then ill have to try and get at least 400bhp!! It would be rude not to try. Have you decided on gearbox yet? 350bhp and an IB5 are not a good match, yours will have more torque then mine too as your turbo is smaller!

for now I am staying with the ib5, until i get used to the car and power, then I will replace it with something else...not sure at all what yet though...quaife say their gears will last but the ford bearings wont, so the ib5 is a no no no matter what i do...the mtx 75 is on the cards but the gear change and clutch change issues are a bit of a fiddle...doable but a fiddle...

I am concerend about three elements of the car, hubs and bearings....gearbox and clutch, and brakes..

the brakes will go 6 pot, the hubs and bearings I will just have to wait and see, the gearbox I guess will have to be the mtx75 box...eventually.

My target is a driveable car...so am not making 350 bhp the holy grail...over 300 will be enough I reckon. so whilst 350 is the target, I may cheat if I dont get there with the gt 28r with a bit of nitrous added.
chris at lightning thinks we can see 320 -330 with the gt 28r but like you I am wondering...

OKAY LIST OF THINGS NEEDED AFTER BRANDS HATCH..

New tyres, going to see if I can get 215 or bigger tyres/wheel for the 350 brake car
stiffer suspension and lowering springs
likely need track and road tyres..
bigger brakes although the alcon ones did not fade or fil thoughout the days playing and I was out for a good 45 minutes at one stage solid...doing lap after lap as quickly as I could...

anyone used any stiffer springs/lowering springs for the racing pumas...

Hubs and bearings wont be an issue, inless you are going to have massive 2" spacers bolted on! The bearing is a focus bearing and thats a heavier car and some run a lot more power too, so you should be cool. The gearbox and flywheel shouldnt be a problem, you can use a 2.0 blacktop flywheel and a focus RS clutch with your MTX box. Driveshafts will be an issue, and possibly starter motor. I think you might get just over 300 with the GT28R, but theres only 1 way youll find out, give it a go!

For the IB5, Jamsport supply a 5 paddle helix clutch, its the one i have in at the moment, with 347bhp, and 300lb/ft, and not once has it showed any sign of slippage. Its very aggressive, but it holds the power really well

Ive got 300lbs springs on the front of my puma, but then my engine is a little heavier then yours. I had something like 330lbs before, and they were just not strong enough.

thats cool to know re hubs...so wont worry there...

I have my plan all sorted now...am just building the 300 plus engine aiming for 350 happy if its 320 or 330..will use std box for a while and 5 paddle clutch...I think this will break the box eventually...may try an organic one first..the paddles are so fierce...

the standard engine is then going turbop too for fitting into nitrous whch will then have its engine turbos for fitting into 419 and 088 is getting a t5 front end bolted in...that will be fun if i get it sorted...

where did you get your springs from pumanoob, I really want a good set of coilovers as for track I want it at least 50 mm lower all round...and hard...on the road I am happy with her as she is...

paulob1 said:
where did you get your springs from pumanoob, I really want a good set of coilovers as for track I want it at least 50 mm lower all round...and hard...on the road I am happy with her as she is...

You could give Proflex or Bilstein a call

yes will have to do that I think...for the 350 bhp car i am thinking of getting fabricated or sourcing a rally puma rear end....

I got my springs of someone breaking an unfinished project by me, i think he was putting them on a honda. It will be nice if you get an independant rear set up. Gaz do a coilover kit for the FRP hubs, i think Jacko may have them, and i think they do an option of springs too.

Back