FRP#441

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

melinamotor

Right,

441 is back in my care with a few issues to attend to, after suffering bad judder on acceleration on the way home last Saturday the car went into Ford on Tuesday. After various conversations back and forwards they invited me in today to look over the car with them. The senior techy had been given the FRP job to do as he was around during its launch.

Both shafts were of the car with the following being evident:
1) Inner shaft bearing had gone n/s
2) both tri cup bearing housings were showing signs of bearing rub inside (indicative of dry housings, not enough grease.
3)Both tri cup bearings were showing signs of movement with one bearing bronzed where it has been rubbing the dry cup.
4)Tri bearing on the n/s drive shaft moved slightly on the shaft, with the shaft showing signs of wear.
5)Small hole in the Cat, circumvented by putting the bypass pipe on.
6)Brake discs showing signs of track use and pads 85% worn.
Also the CV boots had been cable tied on not clipped hence the grease escape.

At present my budget wont allow the replacement of the shaft and tricups and bearings so the new inner shaft bearing is going on and both tri bearings packed with grease secured properly in new boots and the correct clips. This should give me a few thousand miles more out of them.Brake discs should be good for another few thousand as the car wont be used much and definately not tracked in its current condition.
The dilemma I now have is whether to postpone the bodyshop work on the exterior and buy shafts from pb and get the brakes sorted. Not quite how I planned things but hey thats the way it goes sometimes. It only passed an MOT two weeks ago

Back for more :D

Good luck and have fun getting it back to your standard!! I'm sure you will.

Why not rebuld the shafts yourself, it has to be cheaper than the pb option and presumably the shafts themselves are fine and that is the only FRP specific bit?

The pumabuild recon shafts are only your shaft with a new one of these on

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CV-Joint-Kit-Outer-FORD-PUMA-97-00-/280739700383?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item415d63de9f" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Effectively costing you £240 for something you can do for less than £30

Simon

Blue3 said:
Why not rebuld the shafts yourself, it has to be cheaper than the pb option and presumably the shafts themselves are fine and that is the only FRP specific bit?

The pumabuild recon shafts are only your shaft with a new one of these on

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CV-Joint-Kit-Outer-FORD-PUMA-97-00-/280739700383?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item415d63de9f" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Effectively costing you £240 for something you can do for less than £30

Simon

Unfortunately the n/s shaft spline has worn, this means the tri bearing moves on the spline, only slightly but it should be a tight fit. The bits either end are standard puma so quite cheap, the actual drive shaft either needs to be fabricated or a donor found.

thats a lot of work...my shaft broke recently when the engine mounting bolts failed on the near side...it seemed fine on refitting the sapre I had but never thought to check the grease etc...sounds like i should go back in there and have a good check. is there a manual for the FRP's

Car now back on the road and a potential buyer coming to look at the standard Puma today. Should release some funds for work on the FRP.

Latest posts

Back