FRP 458

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi guys and gals,

Picked up the car on Saturday and have been completely blown away by what Chris has accomplished. Being a 16 year old car 1 problem did seem to lead to another but what Chris has got over is unbelievable.

So I’ll start from the beginning:

I dropped it off 3 weeks earlier and to be honest it needed more than just a cambelt change and the front callipers rebuilding. The car vibrated at all speeds and got so bad towards the top end that it didn’t feel safe to drive. The clutch was weak and I’m pretty sure it slipped a few times on the way to him and the brakes were pretty none existent!

The first thing Chris picked up on when he looked around the car was my special custom order Goodride tyres!! :eek:) God knows what the thinking was when the previous owner got these fitted but hey ho one more thing for me to sort out! Whilst mocking my tyres Chris noticed the wheel weight issue. It looks like every time a tyre had been changed someone just added weights. There was hundreds of the bloody things (Probably adding to the horrible vibrations)

Chris then had a look under the car. It has been absolutely covered everywhere with some kind of rust treatment so god knows what the under side is actually like!

As Chris has been saying in other posts the replacement exhausts don’t seem to fit / be fitted too well. My system is made up of a Miltek manifold, Piper mid section and a really tatty original back box.

The engine came out and cleaned up as shown previously. A couple of things Chris did notice was the coolant had no coolant in it, It just looked like water! And the worst thing was the bottom crank pulley nut was really loose. We aren’t really sure how it kept its timing.

Whilst the engine was out Chris changed the seals, cam belt, clutch, thermostat housing, HCV, JSP hoses and a whole host of other items.

When putting the car back together it seemed a good idea to change the bushes and tidy up the bottom arms.

Before:

After:

Chris also sorted out my driveshaft (Which along with the wheel balancing was one of the main problems with the vibration

Another area that has been bodged is I have one RPJ damper! Nothing about it in the service history so I’ll have to look at getting new standard shocks or a new set of the RPJ’s

Back brakes where also fecked so Chris replaced the callipers. I do still have a bit of an underlying rear brake issue but that can be sorted for another time!

Before:

After:

Exhaust was fit properly with new heat shields:

Missed out loads but I’m off down to the pub for my tea.

Chris has done a great job on the car and I cant thank him enough.

List of jobs coming up in the future:

One of Chris’s exhaust systems
Change the tyres
Change the front shocks to matching pair
Get rid of the spoiler
Change the wheels to Team Dynamics pro race 1.2’s with a 15 offset to fill the arches
Full bodywork refurbishment & spray job

Had the spoiler removed and gave her a quick wash:

I do love the car but may have to sell due to needing the money for my house deposit. If anyone is interested please pm. Cheers

Latest posts

Back