FRP Insurance Group?

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thfc

Hi Does anyone know what the insurance group is for an FRP? I was thinking about saving up for one once I finish college, just wondred if it was worth it if I couldn't insure it lol. Cheers :)

It used to be 15 under the 1-20 scheme, but it's probably nearer 30 in the current 1-50 method.

EDIT: Found the FRP on Thatchams site (who decide the groupings) and it is indeed a 30.
(Click to enlarge)

http://www.thatcham.org/abigrouprating/index.jsp?page=343" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

i was told its 15A, not to bad for me as im 30, with sp30 and 6 points fully comp i pay 700... unless its gone up again this year.

A lot of insurnace companies will insure as a Standard 1.7, as the DVLA never recognised the fact its a different car.

spike. said:
the DVLA never recognised the fact its a different car.
Iif that was the case, there wouldn't be a different insurance group for it. It's more like the insurance database wasn't updated fully from when the cars were converted by Tickford and/or when a car comes off a private plate, it can take a while for the database to show the car on it old reg again.

Dal, I know you're not well, but did you forget I did a post on the change in the insurance groups? http://www.projectpuma.com/viewtopic.php?f=69&t=6843" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; :eek:k:

Luckily the DVLA don't set insurance groups, Thatcham do.

yes, I forgot Cherie :(

spike. said:
A lot of insurnace companies will insure as a Standard 1.7, as the DVLA never recognised the fact its a different car.

I'd advise anyone with an FRP insured as a standard 1.7 to contact your insurer immediately as a lot of you will be driving around with insurance not worth the paper it is written on (potentially).

Ollie
Sky Insurance

for me on an frp its £200 cheaper than my black! im 18, no ncb, £1500!

as far as i am concerned as long as i give correct reg its up to the insurance company to find out what car it is, i am not doing their work for them !!!

vekma said:
as far as i am concerned as long as i give correct reg its up to the insurance company to find out what car it is, i am not doing their work for them !!!

Ignorance most certainly is not bliss.

As an example, a customer uses a registration number from his imported Maxda Eunos (MX5) to obtain the insurance quote. The DVLA have registered the car incorrectly, it brings up a Toyota Hilux. He has now insured his Mazda Eunos (MX5) as a Toyota Hilux. Do you think he has vaid cover?! Well no.

The same goes for anyone who has insured their FRP and a 1.7.

Wise up, if you have done this, your insurance cover is invalid.

Do you think an insurer would pay out on an FRP if they have it insured as a standard 1.7?

It is similar to these idiots who insure 2.0L engine converted cars as 1.1L as they have not been declared with the DVLA.

Good advice from Ollie really. You wouldn't want to expose yourself when you're paying a premium anyway.

Have to agree. I was about to buy a car last week but the guy said he hadn't bothered to register it from being a diesel to a petrol or the fact that the whole car had been changed from a slow arse van to a high performance one which included a full conversion except for the shell itself. The fact he hadn't declared any change made me steer clear as god knows what else he wasn't saying!!.

Point being, the new owner of it (poor sole) may think the same and go by the registration only (I just hope he checks the bloody V5) which will come up with a 100bhp diesel when in fact it's a 250bhp VXR in van clothes. He may insure it thinking wow...that's super cheap, but as Ollie says, if that was in an accident then clearly no payout as it's not the actual vehicle as stated by the registration - no matter how small or big the difference....simple.

This is why declaring your mods is important too... Saying they can be removed just isn't realistic!

I know this maybe a stupid question to ask but... is it actually worth around £5k for an FRP? What I mean is, is there much difference to driving enjoyment, noticeable difference in performance etc?

You;re paying for both the driving experience, it is a lot better than a standard 1.7, having driven both regularly last year, and the rarity value

"Better" is such a subjective word that it's just about impossible to quantify.

Harder and less compliant suspension making faster cornering may be "better" if that's what you want rather than a "better" comfortable ride for example.

The only way to tell if you think it's better than a standard 1.7 is to drive one.

This is true, I found the seat far more comfy in the FRP, of course the ride is a lot firmer, the brakes so much more effective, and holds the corners flatter, and like its on rails.

The turning circle on a FRP is rubbish tho!

Better in my opinion ;)

Back