FRP locking issues

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigfellafrp

Hi.

I'm having a few locking/unlocking issues with the remote fob & key.

i) When using the fob their are no locking issues with doors apart from the boot not unlocking.

ii) When using the key there are no issues when locking the doors, however I cannot get the key to unlock the doors. The boot unlocks & locks fine with the key.

Any pointers would be much appreciated?

As for the boot not unlocking - a faint memory of mine says clean the contacts on the boot hatch & sill. Again, if I remember correctly there's 3 (brass?) contacts/prongs but I could be mistaken. Might be 4, might be 2 - who knows, but they're easy to see :ROFLMAO:

As for the door locks - WD40? or is it electrical, not mechanical - the reason they're not working fully.

As for the boot not unlocking - a faint memory of mine says clean the contacts on the boot hatch & sill. Again, if I remember correctly there's 3 (brass?) contacts/prongs but I could be mistaken. Might be 4, might be 2 - who knows, but they're easy to see :ROFLMAO:

As for the door locks - WD40? or is it electrical, not mechanical - the reason they're not working fully.
Many thanks for the response.

I've tried cleaning the boot contacts previously with no joy. Maybe a solenoid issue.

I presume the issue I'm having in unlocking the car with the key is mechanical, as it unlocks fine with the fob.

I had a similar problem which was due to the boot actuator solenoid becoming weak due to aging. Inspection in situ suggested it was OK but it's hard to tell until it's compared with a new one. Because the actuator unit can only be removed after taking off the rear bumper section and then drilling out the two retaining rivets I decided to buy a new replacement manufactured by a German company as I didn't want to have to repeat replacement of a cheap model which may not have been effective (the cost is relative to the quality of the magnet/windings of the solenoid).
Unfortunately, I can't remember the company I used. It was about 3x more expensive than those advertised on Ebay but it worked very effectively. I believe that the same actuator was used on certain Fiesta models (Mk 5s?) and probably others.
One further tip is to take care with the wiring connector as the female contact became slack causing a poor connection (due to my mishandling when I was replacing the actuator). A piece of fuse wire inserted beside the male pin resolved the problem effectively.

Latest posts

Back