frp track rod ends

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jay FRP#401

hello. id be starting my front end rebuild soon. but unsure if the track rod end are the same a standard puma? want to change them as they are old now. thanks

Track rods are longer (you can replace them with focus ones!) track rod ends are standard puma

ooh anyone used that, how does it feel, bet is must be harsh on road...was thinking of these for my pure track day car...but may be over the top for a std puma...will have to wait and see how she goes first time out...got to sort her out a bit so that she is running sweet then will have a play...

but everyone here is right the track rod ends are standard, if your frp has not had them replaced before you have to remove the rivets and replace with bolts...take time to ensure your lower wishbones are in good condition, no signs of cracking or damage. Rust can eat them away too...definitely worth a biot of brush down and respray...

cant see what rose jointed track rod ends would improve, the standard ball joint is no worse then a rose joint anyway, just that you cant rebuild it

I guess you would get instant feel, I have heard that it is a revalation on the track, but have no experience...

paulob1 said:
ooh anyone used that, how does it feel, bet is must be harsh on road...was thinking of these for my pure track day car...but may be over the top for a std puma...will have to wait and see how she goes first time out...got to sort her out a bit so that she is running sweet then will have a play...

but everyone here is right the track rod ends are standard, if your frp has not had them replaced before you have to remove the rivets and replace with bolts...take time to ensure your lower wishbones are in good condition, no signs of cracking or damage. Rust can eat them away too...definitely worth a biot of brush down and respray...

I think you are getting the track rods confused with bottom ball joints, track rods connect the steering rack to the knuckles, bottom ball joint connects the wishbone to the knuckle and is held on with rivits whilst the track rod ends simply screw on to the threaded steering arms

Yeah rose joint track rod ends won't make any difference to feel or handling, you have to excuse him though as he thinks no suspension on a car is a good idea

d170sam said:
paulob1 said:

I think you are getting the track rods confused with bottom ball joints, track rods connect the steering rack to the knuckles, bottom ball joint connects the wishbone to the knuckle and is held on with rivits whilst the track rod ends simply screw on to the threaded steering arms

yes I did, got them on the brain after making up my new ones...and I think pumabuild still have the racing puma ones....I had two off them..not cheap at all...

Hey,

I have a Frp, the passenger side bottom ball joint (wishbone one) is knocking,
Have been told the previous ones snapped whistled driving, so we're replaced with cheapo ones, and tbh there no good!
So can I just get a new one or do I have to buy the whole wishbone?

The ones currently on the car are bolt on, not rivet on, all the ones I seem to find are rivet on.

Any idea were I can get ones for my car?

Cheers,
Harry, :D

Given the age of this, I would go for stock puma ones and just make an extension with the same thread to bolt it to the steering rack extension thus being able to use non-FRP ones

Latest posts

Back