Fuel Gauge Problems

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AndyW

Hi Everyone,

Not sure if I've put this is in the right place, but I think I might have a problem with my fuel gauge :?

Ever since the start of the year (when the car came out) the gauge has not been very accurate and it fluctuates quite a lot - it's never done this before, it's always been spot on.

Any ideas what it could be? The sender or something? If it's a cheap fix then I'll get it done, but if it's complicated and/or expensive then it's not worth doing.

Cheers :eek:k:

Andy

It does sound like it could be the fuel sender to me... you can get a new fiesta sender off ebay for £30 but I have no idea if this will fit a puma or how hard they are to change or if it will actually fix your issue :eek:k:

what year is your car mate?

I have 2 fuel senders spare at the moment. fuel pumps not included as they dont work lol.

earlier models had a slightly different sender to the 2000 plus models.

@ Red - yeah that's the thing mate - I don't know either what it's like to fit. Would be good if I could do it myself (yes, myself - might take me 2 days though :lol: )

@ TyeBoi - it's a late 1998.

The sender and pump were only supplied by Ford as a complete assembly.
Whether you replace a used complete unit, or just a used sender, you'll have to drop the fuel tank to access it. If you do this, its best to get a new seal (Finis 6177705) when you refit the sender/pump to the tank.

Thanks Rick :eek:k:

Don't think I'll bother - sounds like a bit of a ball-ache to do :lol:

it will most likely be the fuel sender without the spring on the float.

only know for certain once its out.

Its not so hard to do once you have a mate to help but work fast and be careful.

Shouldn't be too difficult Andy. Obviously make sure the tank is as empty as possible, I dropped the tank on my Omega which is much bigger, all on my own and replaced the full pump assembly and refitted the tank. Basically had it resting on my chest and manoevered it with my thighs etc to be able to fit the straps that were on mine...lol.

Getting someone to help you would be a lot easier...ZARA!!....lol

If you decide to drop the tank, it might be worthwhile doing the rear brake-pipe sections if they're looking rusty, as it gives you easy access to the inner joints.

Back