Fuel pump failure

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ian cox

Hi,
Went out for a drive on Sunday after 2 years of inactivity :grin:
On way back, approaching a roundabout, the car died. I coasted to a safe place and tried to restart car.
Cracking but will not fire - a few attempts but won't rev just splutters. Noticed that when I turn the key cannot hear pump prime so I think it is the pump.

So before I pull the tank apart I want to check that the fuse, replay and connections to the pump are working correctly.
Can any one please tell me how to diagnose the electrical supply system to the pump before I condemn it.

In reality a pump lasting 20 years with lengthy periods on inactivity isn't bad.

Thanks Ian

You could fairly easily check for power at fuel pump fuse and relay. Not sure if fuse numbers but they should be in handbook.

Checking for power at fuel pump connector involves getting under the car and dropping the tank. You might be able to get at the harness inside the car before it goes through the floor, under rear seat base on LHS of car. Not sure of wire colours but workshop manual might know. You could poke a needle through relevant wiring insulation to check for +12v to pump.

I agree though, it's likely to be pump as they do seem to have a limited life. It's a good opportunity to clean up tank rust and make good any corrosion underneath the car.

Latest posts

Back