Fuel tank - Leaking and replacement

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

huw_jenks

Hi folks, I took my Puma out of the garage for the first time since October yesterday and now she's back on the road. Only trouble is, that I took her down to the petrol station, put £20 in, and before I knew it, it was all pi$$ing out onto the floor!

I knew there was a slight leak in the tank, but last year it wasn't too bad. I've had the car on some ramps today and had a poke about, and the hole seems to be around the inlet pipe. I had planned to drop the tank, clean it up and get some fiberglass over it as a temporary repair, but the tank is impossible to remove do to the corroded bolts, I'm just going to end up stripping them if I try any more.

So, replacement tank it is, and going to have to get a garage to fit it for me by the looks of those bolts. So here are my questions...

Are all Puma tanks the same, regardless of engine size?
Are the tanks the same as all Mk4 Fiesta's? (except diesel, obviously)
Is there any point in saving a few quid on a second hand tank in good nick, rather than getting a new one?
Anyone got one for sale?

Cheers,
Huw

Been there :-(
As far as I know all Puma tanks are the same and I also believe they are the same as the Fiesta's (only difference may be the pump fitting)
Second hand? you might get lucky but then again you may not, new tank around £60 so worth going for every time.
Mine rotted out around the breather pipe, absolutely fine until I filled it last year on the way down south!!
Both rear bolts on mine had to be cut off and replaced with new bolts and nyloc nuts, fronts were fine.

zinc2000 said:
[post]368534[/post] Been there :-(
As far as I know all Puma tanks are the same and I also believe they are the same as the Fiesta's (only difference may be the pump fitting)
Second hand? you might get lucky but then again you may not, new tank around £60 so worth going for every time.
Mine rotted out around the breather pipe, absolutely fine until I filled it last year on the way down south!!
Both rear bolts on mine had to be cut off and replaced with new bolts and nyloc nuts, fronts were fine.

The front two bolts looked fine on mine too, but I didn't bother testing them since the rear two were stuck.

Front two bolts are protected inside the chassis rail so in "theory" they should undo, rear ones are exposed to everything hence they rust...solid
I just chiselled the heads off and replaced

A thread brought back! I am facing the same task as you guys, so just wanted to be sure about the fuel pump/sender seal? Was it ok to be reused, or you used a new one? If so, what was the source as the original is NLA?

Thanks in advance,

Latest posts

Back