full front suspension refurb

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iang74

going into the garage next week to hopefully eliminate all the various creaking, grinding and jolting sounds, the steerings habit of being influenced hard left or right by every imperfection in the road and the feeling of falling off a cliff on even the faintest hint of a speed or road bump.... some of the work was quoted for a few months ago, but i thought, fuck it, get the whole lot done...

2x shock absorbers (one is leaking)
2x new wishbone arms (one is severely perished)
2x new track rods
2x new top mounts
...and all associated bushes replaced....
All for £245 inc VAT fitted... £300 with a full service at the same time....

do you think this is comprehensive enough to rule out every potential cause of the above mentioned nastiness??

i presume they're motorfactor parts then...thats way too cheap for genuine parts..

motorfactor lower arms are terrible quality..i wouldn't go with that setup personally... you'll be doing it all again a year or two later!..

:eek:

ps.. what area are you in? others may be able to recommend a puma friendly place...

also when you say perished.. you mean the bushes?..surely the 'arm' itself isn't perished..?

el dude said:
i presume they're motorfactor parts then...thats way too cheap for genuine parts..

motorfactor lower arms are terrible quality..i wouldn't go with that setup personally... you'll be doing it all again a year or two later!..

:eek:

ps.. what area are you in? others may be able to recommend a puma friendly place...

also when you say perished.. you mean the bushes?..surely the 'arm' itself isn't perished..?

cheers, it's a place in Pboro i've used several times, 'Dal on here recommended and has used him before also. not been disappointed so far... could well be the bushes he was referring to, so perhaps factor out the cost of 2 new wishbones and assume he's replacing the bushes?

Close it was me :)

The top mounts make quite a lot of clonking when worn. It sounds like you're focusing in the right areas anyway! I had to have all four top mounts done on my FRP!

red said:
I had to have all four top mounts done on my FRP!

did you have fun compressing the rear springs down far enough.. :lol: they're an absolute pain on the FRP...you almost have to break the springs compressors...

or did you fit new ready assembled ones?

I remember last year i fitted a set of RPJ's for someone and the rears were a proper faff! :lol:

Hi !

Trying to sort similar thing on mine :

So far new lower arms ( are these really the wishbones ? ) sorted my bad steering habit, and hopefully uneven wear on my tyres ; drop links reduced some of the clunking and hopefully replacing the ant-roll bar bushes will sort the rest of the noises I have !

regards
kevin

red said:
Close it was me :)

The top mounts make quite a lot of clonking when worn. It sounds like you're focusing in the right areas anyway! I had to have all four top mounts done on my FRP!

sorry dude ;) it goes in tomorrow :/

That's ok we're easily confused on here as our names are in red and are both 3 letters long.

got a brand new car back last night! anti roll bar mounts changed as well as everything else listed above... call mid-way through afternoon to advise one of the springs had snapped, so an additional £70 for a pair of new ones. It really does feel like a new car. I'm the only one responsible for steering now; no more dips and bumps in the road taking my steering with them... ALL weird and wonderful noises gone... best £370 i ever spent.

As to those concerned about not being 'genuine' parts.... my mate took delivery of his third brand-name plasma TV this week; the first of the three bought roughly about the same time I bought my 'cheap and nasty' Tecos Technica set that's lasted four years and still going strong while his have suffered from various ailments including popped speakers, burnt-in images, fried electrics etc... brand isn't always superior... you could have two solid gold, diamond encrusted 'endorsed by God himself' lower arms, hand crafted by the finest auto technicians in the world, yet get them fitted by yer average Halfords trainee and see what happens....

Two brothers with FRP's, one recently traded in for a renault, got a mention too....

Back