Gear selection issue within the gearbox

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

richard_rip

I've recently put the engine back in my FRP after a rebuild and new clutch. I bolted it back in on the mounts, piped the clutch up to test it and aligned the gear linkage, all was perfect so I finished off the rebuild. When I dropped the car back on the ground I couldn't select anything other than 3rd and 4th. I removed the linkage from the box and tried to select gears using the input shaft but to no avail.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Hi Richard
Have you turned the engine over as that may help it to select gears whilst the car is stood?
Barry

Hi Richard
I don't really know what to add to this now as the last time I did one of these was in the 80s or 90s on the old BC box
Usually there is some process of making sure the linkage on the box matches the gate on the selector so hopefully someone else will answer this. Also is the clutch working properly ie fully engaging and dis-engaging?
Barry

When you removed the gearbox in the first place.
Did you drain the oil from the driveshaft or the selector detent?

I`m only guessing, but if it (the detent) were to disengage (It`s something to do with the selectors) then issues well might arise.

I`m not 100% on this.
But it`s there to do a job!
And all the manuals say to remove a driveshaft to drain.
The first time I dropped a box, I undid what I thought was a drain plug and when I saw it wasn`t, I put it straight back in!

Any gearbox wizards shed any light on this one.

To align the stick, a 9mm drill in the hole in the selector locks the gearstick in 4th gear position.

When I drained the oil I used the a plug thingy thats about 2 inches below the fill cap, oil pee'd out of it :s
I can't turn the selector shaft that comes of the box, so it's definitely not the gear leaver itself.

I've just googles "puma detent" and that's the bit I used to drain the box, oops. What does it do/how do I fix it?

Hi Richard
I may be wrong but those detents are usually only there to make sure somethings engages exactly where it should. If you used it as a drain but then put it back in before you disconnected the linkage under the box I wouldn't have thought it would make any difference. Did you follow the assembly instructions for the linkage as Stu outlined above using the 9mm drill?
Barry

I think it`s sort of a guide to help the selector `find` its center.
If the gearstick was moved without the detent the selector could have `flopped` to one position.
To get into it might take some swearing.

You really need a gearbox guy for more trustworthy advice.
I really am guessing at possible scenario`s

The selector shaft that comes out of the box is quite hard to move. If it is impossible to move then maybe it's bent. Mine was bent and had similar symptoms. Did the gearbox drop from some height which may bent the shaft?

The Ford procedure for mating the gearstick and gearbox is quite simple. You should using a screwdriver push the shift selector straight in without turning it to any side and just connect the gearstick rod to it. That way the gearbox has selected the 4th gear.
Some additional adjustment can be done if you remove the small black cover to access the 5th gear if needed. Have a look at complete shop manual here: http://workshop-manuals.com/ford/puma_1998_06.1997-12.2001/mechanical_repairs/1_general_information/100_service_information/100-00_general_information/description_and_operation/about_this_manual/

Thanks for the info guys.
I'm going to undo the detent and see if I can turn the shaft at that point, If I can I'll realign as stated above.
The gearbox would select before I put the detent back in and filled it with oil so it must be that, or the driveshafts, I hope haha

Wild E. Coyote said:
[post]360511[/post] The Ford procedure for mating the gearstick and gearbox is quite simple. You should using a screwdriver push the shift selector straight in without turning it to any side and just connect the gearstick rod to it. That way the gearbox has selected the 4th gear.
Some additional adjustment can be done if you remove the small black cover to access the 5th gear if needed. Have a look at complete shop manual here: http://workshop-manuals.com/ford/puma_1998_06.1997-12.2001/mechanical_repairs/1_general_information/100_service_information/100-00_general_information/description_and_operation/about_this_manual/

Just been looking as my gear selector is sized so have just bought a gearbox with 36k on it so shall be following this when i put the selector to gearstick back together Thankyou

Jason

:thumbs: :eek:k:

Back