Gearbox Bushes

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

new_horizon

Hi there - I bought my Puma millennium edition back in March and absolutely love it - fantastic little car and a real head turner in yellow. Recently, I've noticed the gearshift getting very loose in neutral and I'm having trouble finding 3rd at times (having to "place" it). I've been advised to get a "gearbox bush kit" but am having trouble sourcing one - does anyone have any ideas or advice please?

Many thanks

Possibly you have one of the following two problems

1) worn gear linkage (in particular check the nylon bush near the front of the linkage) near where it bolts to the box.
2) You have a worn spring inside the gearbox that helps centralise the gearlever

I had some wear on the spring inside my gearbox that centralises the lever which manifested as follows.
When in neutral if you push the lever to the left or right it should spring back to centre quite sharply. On mine it sprang back sharply one way but not the other. I also had intermittent minor probs getting into third upon occasion.

Number one is relatively cheap and easy to do number two entails the gearbox coming off and its probably easier to replace with a box from IanG than repair your own.

Its worth checking the 2 small bolts holding the plastic parts of the gear linkage under the floor pan together, if these come undone the gearstick becomes very slack but you can still change gear. Best to take the linkage off completely.

Back