Handbrake siezed

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chardy

Morning all,

tried to pull away yesterday but handbrake had other ideas. Was out visiting so had limited access to tools. Ended up slackening the cable right off at the hanbrake lever so i could get home, and am now running without a handbrake. :(

Both wheels were locked so i think it's a cable issue, probably between the lever and the yoke. Any clues? Any easy fixes ?, or do i have to strip out all of the heat shielding and/or drums to find out ?

Thanks in advance,

Rich.

Since driving it have you tried tightening it up to see if it sticks again.

I never put my handbrake on when the car is sat at home as it could be there for days or up to a week without moving and can stick through simple lack of use. If I have left it on it usually free's itself with a good handfull of throttle resulting in a big clonk when the shoes free themselves....lol.

Hope it's nothing to difficult to sort.

hiya,

gonna try that at lunch time. When it siezed it had only been parked for about 30 mins, and didnt want to let go even with some persuasive 1st gear/ reverse throttle trying to rock it free. It didnt even respond to a gentle tap or two from a hammer.

will keep u posted.

mmm...sounds like more than binding then. Maybe a frayed/jammed cable or worse.

I'd check the cabling from back to front if it's not too difficult or take the drums off and take a look at the shoes/mechanism to see if they're right at their limits which might stop them returning when fully on.

All hail the handbrake fairies, looks like they've been busy, :grin:

I've now tightened the cable and it seems to be fine, holds tight, lets go. :grin:

Now i'm nervous of it happening again as i didn't work out what went wrong in the first place. :roll:

New mantra................................... "My glass is half full, my glass is half full"

hi i hope on not jumping on some one else's prob but my handbrake wont work on one wheel of my car my back rear one can any of u nice fella's be able to assist me in advice

Latest posts

Back