Handbrake tightened on its own

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

s.o.f

Hi guys something strange has happened to me tonight. I was just turning round in the road and suddenly my handbrake tightened right up. The handbrake lever was all the way down but it was so tight I couldn't drive it. I tightened the cable up a few weeks ago and it was fine until tonight. I've loosened it again now so it's alright for now but I don't want it to happen again. Does anybody have any clues as to what it was?

Cheers

There are automatic handbrake adjusters in the rear brake drums that are supposed to automatically take up handbrake cable slack. (I believe operated by the footbrake) Only theorising but it could be the case that you had a siezed adjuster/s prior to adjusting the handbrake.Then sometime after doing that the sdjuster/s became unsiezed and overtightened the cable.

There is I believe a how to on adjusting the cable and you have to loosen it off first and then raise the handle 6 clicks before tightening it up to 4nm.

I would guess you had it lower than this when you adjusted it? maybe even down all the way?

should be ok now

Hi, when I tightened it up I just tightened the cable until the brake came on at 3 clicks, I didn't know there was a special way you had to do it :oops:

Yeah its like a little pagan ritual lol, wait till you have to get your axle bushes out if you dont know the correct order to swear at it youll never get em out :D

quest63 said:
Yeah its like a little pagan ritual lol, wait till you have to get your axle bushes out if you dont know the correct order to swear at it youll never get em out :D

I will second that, their a PITA. As is trying to get seized ones to ratchet correctly after servicing... drum on, drum off, drum on, drum off... bloody things :x

Latest posts

Back