Hatchback won't open

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kencooper

On my wife's Puma( 1.7 '51) the hatchback lock has 'jammed'. It won't open with the automatic locking key, although the other doors work, nor will it open manually. It did this once before, but then started working again. I flooded the lock with WD40 and all was well for a period.

I can't find any way of opening the hatchback to get at the locking mechanism, can anyone help.

The user manual gives no manual method of opening the back from inside, and I can't find any posts about how to get the back open. I seem to remember that the locking mechanism is hidden behind the boot trim, which you can't remove unless the hatchback is open.

Being a '51 plate I would say it is a 3 button. Only the early Puma's had the 2 button infa red keys.

Cannot offer any advice but my hatchback has stopped opening on the 3-button fob too, but at least I can open it manually if the car doors are unlocked.

Get in the back seat, move parcel shelf out the way, to the left of the lock as you look at it from inside, peel back the carpet, this will give you access to the rear of the lock, turn the plastic cam by hand to open.

I have the same problem. When I hit the button I can hear the solenoid working but it doesn't open up the boot. However, I have found that if i ''bounce'' a little on the bootlid whilst pressing the open button, it opens up eventually.

I had the same issue on mine when I bought it, I could hear the solenoid moving but it would only unlock with the key. I peeled away the carpet in the boot by the nearside rear light and I found that the cable had come away from the solenoid, I manage to get it back on but it was damn tight and managed to scrape all the skin off my hand doing so. It has been working fine for the last 6 months.

The small plastic clip which holds the lock release cable to the solenoid arm can fracture ad then there is not enough movement on the cable to operate the lock. The part is available from Ford and is very cheap but fitting it is very fiddly and you need small hands. I got a new one on mine but I had to fit it the wrong way round. It works OK though.

The boot release on mine didn't work on the button when I got it but I took out the rear panel carpet and looked at the connections.Cleaned them all up and finally got it to work when I took off the earth connection cleaned it and re-tightened.
Hope it works for you.

Thank you al for the assistance.
Got in from inside to open the hatchback. Found that the lock wouldn't turn, so soaked it in WD40 again, and got it to work on the key. Now I've the problem of keeping it working, and possibly sorting out how to replace the motor in the future.

Back