Having trouble removing calliper carrier bolts!

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

haGGard

Hi,

Thought i'd make a start of the disks/pads change today. Started on the nearside. Got the top calliper carrier bolt out, was pretty tight but came out ok. The bottom one however really put up a fight and has now got slightly rounded off edges. Its still not budging. Its been soaked in DW40 but refuses to move. Even all my sockets and loop spanners slip off it now, its that rounded.

Any ideas on where to go from here? Is it worth dragging out the hand file and trying to flatten the edges again in that small crampt space?

Heres what it looks like atm

http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd242/haggard04/05072010031.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

mine did this i got that irwin bolt remover set off ebay for a few quid and it removed them no bother

Just searched for the irwin bolt remover on ebay, its almost the same price as what i paid for the disks and pads. Is there any other options i can try first? If not i'll just have to get that.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Irwin-Bolt-Grip-Fastener-Remover-Expansion-Set-/370184194412?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_Hand_Tools_Equipment&hash=item5630b2896c" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

No probs!

Ah well because im so impatient i've just bought the expansion set scuba steve just posted. I'll get my moneys worth out of it in the end as theres always rusted seized solid bolts on anything i do these days. So cheers for the recomendation, i hope it goes to plan from now on!

How does this irwin bolt remover work? They look like normal sockets but they've got some odd shape to them...

yeah you get other sizes too which may come in useful which also includes the dreaded wheel nut size, theyve saved me a few times actually, also worked well to get the abs 8mm bolts out that generally get seized.

select the correct sized remover for the bolt you want out, in this case 13mm, tap it over the head of the bolt with a hammer, then slowly apply pressure and it will bite into the bolt.

you will need a new bolt after though

Oh right, sounds easy enough!

Yea i wasn't going to get new bolts as if the originals looked ok i'd of just put them back in again, but looking at the state of them (they're the original from the factory) i'm definatly getting some new ones.

ScubaSteve said:
select the correct sized remover for the bolt you want out, in this case 13mm, tap it over the head of the bolt with a hammer, then slowly apply pressure and it will bite into the bolt.
can the tool be reused once it has bitten into the bolt ?

not sure if they need to be HT bolts for the calipers but if not then stainless all the way.

Latest posts

Back