headlight plastic cover marked

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paulyarse

Hi ppl was wondering if there was a way to get my headlamps back upto normal again,they look scratched all over but when it rains or they are wet they look clear,but all pumas ive seen have clear headlamps,could i possibly polish them up or would it be wise to change them completly.

Scratch-X and T-Cut can sort it out temporarily but it usually comes back within a month.

Best bet is to tap up Ian G (<--- clicky) on here see if he's got some good-condition used ones.

Odd to have no reply..

I have used the Turtle Wax Headlight Restorer Kit on my Punto, but to no avail. They are pretty shot. It did work very well on a friend of mine's Clio when I did her headlights. So I would give that a good review.
Now looking into getting some new headlights for the Punto though.

As for the Puma, the 'scratching/misting' isn't too bad, however the broken seals worry me a little. Will be looking for a new set after all non-detailing work has been completed.

L1

What sort of polish did you use? I reckon that is what I am going to have to do as they are bad! It looks like there is a layer of lacquer that has been partially eroded!

I 1500 then 2500 grit wet sanded mine followed by rotary polisher, but they only look good for a short while, the only way to get them looking good for long is to replace them. I have not tried this but you might be able to re lacquer them? I think its the lacquer breaking down and peeling off that causes them to dull, then turn yellow eventually.

yeah, it is the stuff they call the 'sealer'. With the Turtle Wax kit you get a wipe with some special 'sealer' in it. Once the headlights are sanded and clear again you seal them with the wipe and it keeps them from dulling again!

Checked out youtube as Luceone suggested and some people have used toothpaste, thought I would give it a go, huge improvement, still not up to the standard I would like (someone in the past has had a bodge attempt to fix them and made it worse), and no sealent obviously, but for anyone with a mild problem it's worth a go at no cost! :grin:

Great tip! thanks for that :)

I will get to work with some toothpaste tomorrow!! :D

Have done some more work on headlights, if interested see' project OKK' in project thread, would be very interested if anyone has come across a sealent to buy seperately without having to buy a £20 kit for 1 wipe, cheers folks :grin:

Seen this, don't know if any good:
http://www.motorgeek.co.uk/cgi-bin/ecom.cgi?Command=ShowProduct&db_pid=427" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

More info from USA site:
http://www.autogeek.net/plastik-surface-sealant.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

lrrhood said:
Checked out youtube as Luceone suggested and some people have used toothpaste, thought I would give it a go, huge improvement, still not up to the standard I would like (someone in the past has had a bodge attempt to fix them and made it worse), and no sealent obviously, but for anyone with a mild problem it's worth a go at no cost! :grin:

I use rubbing compound from halfords, think you will find its not really any more expensive than toothpaste and wont leave your headlights smelling of mint! unless you like minty headlights of course? :D

They always come up ok for a while then dull, think it must be the lacquer, going to give that kit a go!

Back