Help - it's broken down!!

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mustardmit

On my way home earlier my Puma conked.
There was a slight buzz from the engine - a very subtle one then it just stopped dead.
I tried to start it and it turned over as normal but no fire up, my first worry was cambelt, but would it have turned over at the usual speed if this was the case?
After waiting and trying to figure out how to get it off the road, I tried to start it again and it did start but was very lumpy, it felt like it was firing on two cylinders, three at the most.
What the fek could it be?
I had some misfiring issues recently and one time I found some oil pooled up in a couple of the spark plug recesses, cleaned it out then all was fine. I'm going to trudge down there later with a few tools and a head torch!
Any idea what could be the cause?

Oil in plugwells can kill ht leads and coil pack if left long enough,if it was just oil in no 1 plug,this is sometimes over spill,if in others,cam gasket failure,change ht leads and coil pack,and if needed change cam cover gasket..

Does read like coil problems caused by a leaky cam cover, see what you find when you whip the cover off.

Ok *latest*
I've just been down to where it is stranded and had the cover off.
There was some oil/water in the plug wells (about 10mm deep) so I soaked it all out with kitchen roll, removed checked and cleaned all the spark plugs then replaced them having also cleaned out the ends of the plug leads.
Had a go at starting and ...nothing, not a hint of a fire up. I even chucked in a gallon of petrol as it was a bit low.
Still no sign of life.
*sigh* ...looks like I'm f***ing stuffed.

Could water have got in somewhere and f***ed something? I recently did a fairly big journey through torrential rain.
It's been suggested by a friend who had a 2002 Zetec S (similar air intake/throttle body setup?) that the air intake can allow water to accumulate in the throttle body which he said is slightly downward pointing, so water can contaminate the throttle position potentiometer.

Latest posts

Back