Hi from Spain! (oh, and help please ;) )

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JAC

Hi all!

First, congratulations on the forum, plent of cool projects and cars in here, and from what I have see, lots of helpful and friendly people.

I came accross this forum whilst looking for info on the Puma, as I have been wanting to pick one up for a while. I was wondering if you guys could offer me some tips.

Let me start by saying, where I live (southern Spain), second hand cars are pretty expensive, but Puma's are actually not a bad price. The average price around here at present is about 2000€ (£1450) for a '98 to '00 with 120k to 150k km (75k to 95k miles), the different engine models don't seem to make any difference in price.

I am looking for a fun car to drive (it will be a second/third car), and decided on the Puma as a good option. I am looking for a 1.7.

Anyways, on Saturday I am going to look at a '98 that I have been offered for a ridiculous price of 750€ (£540) as it has been standing for a long time.

According to the owner, after speaking with him for a while on the phone, the car has only 53.000km (32k miles) on it, and has been standing in a garage for the last 3 years, unused. The owner bought it about 2 years before (for his then girlfriend) and it had 35.000km (22k miles) on it, as it was used as a holiday car by an English guy that only visited in summer. Unfortunately during those first 12 years, it was parked outside (in the sun that we have too much of here) and it is red, or... at least it was!

Supposedly, to pass the ITV (our equivalent of the MOT), it needs new tyres, a new lamp in the left headlight, and the clear covers of the headlights need buffing.

I will be inspecting the car with a mechanic (who has repared and prepared lots of cars with me, so I trust him), but I thought I would ask the Puma experts for any tips on what to look for that would make the alarm bells ring. The main issue is that I cannot test drive the car, as it has no MOT or insurance.

I am not too worried about the external condition, as rust is not an issue here, and I plan on painting anyway. The interior, as far as I can see, is in good condition, but also very faded from the sun. This doesn't exactly bother me anyway, as I will probably change the seats (and remove the back seats) anyway.

This will hopefully be a fun project, and turn into a fun car, but I certainly don't want it to turn into a nightmare (I hope).

One last thing, and sorry for the extra long post, here we have issues with aftermarket parts. All parts must either be original, or have a modification "project" done by an engineer. Luckily I have an engineer to do this (I work with him), but he can only go so far, so no cosworth engines :D

I apologize again for the length of this! Thank you all for reading and I would appreciate any tips you can offer.

JAC

Ok, thanks Barry.

Is the cambelt the timing belt (sorry for my lack of English in car terms). If so, I usually do that on used cars I buy, even if there is evidence (unless I know the owner or mechanic), as I had a very expensive lesson on that subject!

Felis Concolor said:
JAC said:
...any tips on what to look for that would make the alarm bells ring...
Hola! :) Being that very interested in Puma, you shouldn`t have missed that:
http://www.fordwiki.co.uk/index.php?title=Common_Problems_(Puma)
To be honest, the forum offers much more info than that if you are determined enough to get yourself a Puma alive and kicking :grin: Good luck!

Unfortunately that link just gives me a:

"There is currently no text in this page. You can search for this page title in other pages, or search the related logs, but you do not have permission to create this page."

Hello and welcome.
I hope you have lots of fun with your project car..
As well as the cambelt and engine `refreshing` I would check all suspension and brake parts looking for worn/splitting rubbers and bushes.
With such low mileage, you may have a great little car there. :grin:
Stu..

Yep, sh :!: t happens :evil: Then try searching for "Ford Puma Common Faults" and you`ll see it! Sorry for that inconvenience anyway...
And don`t forget to thoroughly examine the brakes` and suspension`s topics in here! Though Puma`s suspension is "hardened" compared to the Fiesta`s one, it`s not immortal...

Great, thanks!

My biggest concern is anything that is mounted on rubber, such as engine mounts etc. as the temperature here in summer hits 40-45ºC (100-115ºF) all summer, so I guess that the 12 years in the sun will have taken their toll.

I expect to have to do a lot of work on the car, just hope that the engine is good.

(I'm off to learn about brakes and suspension ;) )

Hi JAC
Yes the cambelt is the timing belt. If you are doing it yourself make sure you read up on it as it is fraught with difficulties and a useful piece of information is on Gates technical bulletin #036, available on the internet.
Barry

5 digit odometer on a '98 so make sure 55k isn't 155k.

Headlights you might need to replace the lenses or at least apply lacquer as they don't generally come up well with buffing alone.

Other than that, sounds like a great project and I look forward to pictures. :)

JAC said:
Felis Concolor said:
JAC said:
To be honest, the forum offers much more info than that if you are determined enough to get yourself a Puma alive and kicking :grin: Good luck!

"There is currently no text in this page. You can search for this page title in other pages, or search the related logs, but you do not have permission to create this page."
I've fixed the link. It's the bracket at the end, the forum software is not smart enough to realise that should be included in the link if you don't contain it in [ url] [ /url] brackets.

With sanding, then a machine polish, the headlights should come up enough to get you through the test. One done though, you will have taken off the UV protection layer, so they will deteriorate again pretty quickly. Covering with a clear vinyl could be an option to prolong the life of them, at least until you can get some replacements.

Good point ^^

You can lacquer freshly sanded headlights with a decent 2k lacquer for longevity - or just wax them up with a decent long lasting wax.

tuonokid said:
Hi JAC
Yes the cambelt is the timing belt. If you are doing it yourself make sure you read up on it as it is fraught with difficulties and a useful piece of information is on Gates technical bulletin #036, available on the internet.
Barry

Thanks again Barry. I won't be doing it myself, that's why I like to team up with the mechanic when working on vehicles, I have the ideas and he gets his hands dirty :)

(BTW, thanks for pointing out the Gates bulletin also, handy info)

Ian G said:
5 digit odometer on a '98 so make sure 55k isn't 155k.

Headlights you might need to replace the lenses or at least apply lacquer as they don't generally come up well with buffing alone.

Other than that, sounds like a great project and I look forward to pictures. :)

Thanks for pointing that out, I haden't even thought about it being a 5 digit odo', so I will pay extra attention to other details to make sure it hasn't been round the clock a couple of times.

For the headlights, I just need to get them clean enough to pass the ITV (MOT) for now, as you cannot transfer a cars paperwork without it passing the test here. I will decide on a long term solution once (if) I get in in my name. I actually found some replacement headlights in good condition for 50€ (£35).

Cherie said:
JAC said:
Felis Concolor said:
JAC said:

I've fixed the link. It's the bracket at the end, the forum software is not smart enough to realise that should be included in the link if you don't contain it in [ url] [ /url] brackets.

Thank you sir.

Cherie said:
With sanding, then a machine polish, the headlights should come up enough to get you through the test. One done though, you will have taken off the UV protection layer, so they will deteriorate again pretty quickly. Covering with a clear vinyl could be an option to prolong the life of them, at least until you can get some replacements.

Dal said:
Good point ^^

You can lacquer freshly sanded headlights with a decent 2k lacquer for longevity - or just wax them up with a decent long lasting wax.

As I said above, I will probably get replacements if the price is decent, but at a later date, for now I just neet it to pass the test.

BTW, I am not used to people being so cheerful and helpful on the internet, the Puma must be special! :D

UPDATE:

I went to visit the car today. Unfortunately it was in much worse condition than was described (or imagined) :-( .

Just on a quick inspection, it had done at least 1 lap of the odometer, or more, the steering wheel was 3/4 of the original thickness in places, the gear shift was worn (and thats metal!), the electric window buttons were worn to the point that they were transparent etc.. It leaked also oil, needed a new exhaust, new tyres, new lights, all the belts changing, and other things that I am forgetting. And that was just a quick inspection!

Tomorrow I am going to see another one which is double the price, but is advertised as having done 112.000km (70k miles) with one owner since new, and he is nearly in his seventies. Fingers crossed!

:roll: that first one sounds like a proper money pit.

Good luck with viewing the next one!

JAC said:
...going to see another one ... having done 112.000km (70k miles) with one owner since new, and he is nearly in his seventies...
Whoa! Is he a reborn Steve McQueen or what? :roll: Get a picture of either the owner or the car, or both of them, mate, por favor! :)
As for the mileage, here`s an advice for free - do not take it undoubtedly, check the car thoroughly! I`ve bought my Puma showing 88.000km or so but I bet my left arm it had been through much more than that (seen from the very scratched gear lever and other signs)... Keep your eyes open and good luck!

Latest posts

Back