High Revs and no pounce.

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TommyLeePwns

Ok, so I'll keep this short n sweet.

From a cold start the revs will go from 1500 and idle at about 1 / 1100 after 5 minutes. Not my main concern but as I'm on the subject of revs then I thought I'd mention it.

Whilst driving or trying to drive I experience hi revs and slow motion take offs. When launching from 1st gear the revs have to climb up to about 3500 to 4000 for me to shift gears and get moving properly but even then its a load of nonsense. When I get up to speed and maintain said speed car is absolutely fine but pulling away from junctions and round abouts is becoming a joke.

Ideas, input etc gentlemen.

Id appreciate your help

Hi Tommy
There is plenty of info regarding possible causes on previous posts on this forum. Type some of the key words in the search box and methodically run through the advice.
The answers are there for you , just take your time reading the previous posts. There are many I have personally written.

I would start with checking the resistance values of your ignition leads as they don't last for more than 10 years.

When was the clutch last replaced? Go about 60 mph and floor it, do the revs increase and little acceleration?

Van_Dammesque said:
When was the clutch last replaced? Go about 60 mph and floor it, do the revs increase and little acceleration?

Heya bud,

Oddly enough I tried this the other day. took ages going from 40 to 60 on a straight quiet road. Revs would spike but speed was dead slow. I'm thinking Clutch issue or possible an Air filter issue maybe I'm not sure. I've been busy this week and haven't been driving it much so I'll be having a good rake about it tomorrow.

Starting from 1st gear is a joke now it barely moves until the revs get kicked and then I can poke it to 2nd which is slightly better then it eventually gets going. I've stopped driving it now though because I have no launch power from round abouts so I don't want to cause anyone any issues.

I'll keep everyone posted.

Just got my car back.

Clutch was well and truly knackered. Put a brand spanking new one in and its got a new lease of life and a whole new attitude. Thing pounces from idle to launch in the blink of an eye. Had the biggest smile on my face driving home.

Next job, will be fixing the fabric on the doors and finding someone to fix the fabric on the roof as its starting to sag. So plenty of jobs to do but I'm keeping her!

Back