How harsh are poly bushes?

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alexwilliams840

Hi all, looking at the flo-flex bushes for the wishbones. Has anyone had any experience with them? Good or bad. Just wondered if they will feel any different to new ones or the same? Also there seems to be two different sizes 24mm and 18mm in Depth... Is there an easy way to tell which I need? Thanks :)

I wouldn't use flo flex, had bad experiences of them and won't use them again, but that's just me. I use powerflex and never had a problem.

I even fitted powerflex bushes to our daily driver, Seat Leon FR and the ride is no harder.

Oh, I have flo-flex on the rear beam and they are okay :)

I'll look at powerflex if that's the case

I did use a flo-flex rear beam bush and fitment wasn't too bad actually. I used it for my gearbox mount but didn't like the heat!!

Powerflex rear beam bushes are more stiff.

Powerflex bushes for the lower arms are ok, but I think the rear lower arm bush is a spherical bearing that needs pressing in. I have had some of them start to rattle (no play for MOT failure) but can be quite annoying!

I've got power flex rear beam and wishbones and the ride isn't tooooo bad. I find it puts more onus on the suspension to be set up correctly. Once I got that sorted (or at least better than it was) the car handled very nicely and i thought was fine for daily driving.

Had a flo flex for my gearbox mount too! That was awful! The flo-flex ones look like they press in. No sleeve on them like the factory and powerflex ones...

I reckon they will actually be better then.. Usually the troubles with Flo-Flex have been the moulding, in terms of the correct size.

These are my Powerflex Rear Wishbone Bushes, removed 21 months (around 8/9000 miles) after fitting.
I changed these back to Ford "FRP" bushes, as the Powerflex allow water to enter, and the pivoting metal centres (not stainless steel), had rusted/siezed up. This made an awful metallic grating noise and resulted in the centre bolts wearing the metal, from round holes to oval.
Following my complaint to Powerflex, they now supply a tube of grease to help prevent the rusting (although, at the price thay charge, they should have used S/Steel for the metal components!).

It's generally found that you need original Ford wishbones to get a good fit. Some people have found that aftermarket wishbone hole diameters vary.

[image]2119[/image]
[image]2118[/image]

Yeah I agree they should be s/s

Here are the ones I'm looking at getting

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ford-Puma-Front-Suspension-Wishbone-Anti-Roll-Bar-Bushes-Poly-64x24-10-/371356713115?hash=item567695c09b:g:jMYAAOSwHnFVhAl6

Couldn't agree more with Rick on powerflex bushes for ford lower arms.

The Seat ones are great and are a moulded bush, why can't they do them like that for these arms?!

Look like they are worth a go. I would go this route now, if I wasn't looking at fabricating my own with rose joints.

I had Powerflex all round in my black Puma many moons ago. I can't really recall any massive difference, save for the ride which became very harsh and jittery. Ford standard bushes all round is the way forward IMO.

It's better then aftermarket anyway. I once mounted Moogs, they are the shittiest brand I ever had, were broken after 10 months or so..
For road use I stick to OEM bushes, I'm already lowered so I like to keep sòme comfort. I guess it's just what you like and a lot depends on your own driving style/lowering/wheels too.

Back