How many horse's hiding in the 1.7i Zetec engine?

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vivmeister

Hi! Me again!! (Audible groans...)

Just wondering what sort of BHP you could possibly get on the 1.7i Zetec engine, using Sports Air Filters, Sport exhausts, Engine mapping etc before it eats itself for lunch??

I can imagine you guys have allsorts of data! Anybody shoe-horned in an alternative engine?

Cheers!

Yeah, I have since I posted the question and now I wish I'd done that before posting a stoopid question!! Lol

You have to keep stuffing pound notes into it till there's nowhere left for the horses to hide:)

I think if you want more power its best to turbo the engine. You can get over 250hp if you wanted. But something simple could get you to about 180, which would be pretty fast in a Puma, and a nice amount of extra torque. If you are handy and have spare time, you can do it for about £1000, some people on here have done it.

If you do a lot of track driving then maybe cams/headwork etc are better, but it might not work so well on the roads - traffic jams, idling etc. But only if you want a lot from them, of course the FRP does fine, but then again its not that powerful either.

Other option is nitrous of course, but you have to refill the bottle, and if you're going to spend the money and get work done, might aswell get the better option (turbo) :>

Supercharging isn't easy on the Puma.

I don't think theres much point in changing the engine when you can turbo it, unless you want crazy power :D

Exhaust/filter only = nothing really. Not worth it imo unless you like the sound/looks. It works better when combined with the other mods ^ (turbo especially)

Back