How to remove Front Shock Absorber?

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scz4

I'm stuck.... removed the rears easily, but struggling to release the front shock.

I've removed the bolt holding it on to the hub, I've removed the drop link, undone and removed the top mount and lastly detached the caliper support braket.

What's the trick? I assume you have to lever down the hub\arms, or should I put hitting the shock from beneath to push it up?

G

Well, I did my sisters bearing the other day which meant I had to seperate the shock from the hub carrier. Basically it had not been moved from its place for a good 10 years. Now I'm not sure about u bit if I had been in a place for 10 years then someone wanted to move me I wouldn't be easily moved. Think I ended up removing top mount, spraying wd40 where the strut pops into the carrier. I then prised a little at the back where the shock securing nut and bolt go but only a bit. Then gave it a wiggle.
It all came loose then. The hard bit will come when u try and "slip" the shock back in. Remember if it's hard to get out, it gonna be easy to get back in. Good luck and let us know how u get on.

Stupid iPhone auto correct. I actually meant to say it won't be easy to slip the shock in.
Really the pumas not to bad a car to work on up front. I personally have a passat. Now that's a setup that will test u.

Leave the shock bolted in at the top, remove the pinch bolt from the back of the hub, then smack the top of the hub with a copper faced hammer. The hub should slide right off the bottom of the shock. Ideally you want someone else to apply a bit of downward force to the wishbone, but you can do it single handed too, just get a decent length of stout rod, insert it over the top of the wishbone and below the seam of the car, then sit on it.

Excellent, thanks for that. Will give it a go this week.

Did you have to lever the hub down to give you enough room to release the shock? What about disconnecting the steering rack etc?

you dont need to disconnect the steering track rods ends to remove the shock

Once you've got the shock disconnected, the hub is free to swivel on the lower ball joint of the wishbone so it tends to fall out of the way leaving you room to drop the shock.

Back