How would fitting 7J x 15 ET37 wheels affect handling?

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pbm

As per the title really... I have the chance to buy a set of lovely wheels in this size but don't want to upset the handling in a negative way.

I know I could get the offset back to standard 34mm by using 3mm spacers all round but would the 7J (ie wider than standard 6J) width make the tyres stick out too far?

Anything else to consider?

The car will mostly be used for track days so optimum handling is a must for me.

Thanks!

think i would be fine mine are 16 et49 and it still handles fine some will have to say its not just wait for it lol

The width of the wheel goes inwards, so it won't stick out if you use spacers, but 3mm is nothing to worry about anyway. You could use larger spacers. I had a couple of wide arch cars with widened track, and the normal version before them, what I found was a wider track can give you more stability in corners, but they are less progressive when they lose grip, but both cars of mine were quite a big difference in track width. A small difference like 3mm should hardly be noticeable.

LOONEY said:
think i would be fine mine are 16 et49 and it still handles fine ...
So your car has 32mm narrower track front and rear? ((49 - 34) * 2). I would have thought that would handle quite differently to standard. 'handles fine' is a subjective term I guess - what you think is fine may be considered bad by someone else.

russv said:
... You could use larger spacers... A small difference like 3mm should hardly be noticeable.
Thanks for the info. Why would larger spacers be needed? the 3mm difference in offset isn't really what I see as the problem (because it can be overcome with 3mm spacers) I was more interested in the 7J vs 6J width.

im sure there et 49 erm no can still chuck it around corners it dont pull to any side or owt but when i got them front got 195 50 16 and backs 195 60 16 but i would like 215 45 16 or 50's but deffo like them wider

Back