idle slow to settle and tire pressures

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andrewjeffs

The idle on my puma seems slow to settle after then engine returns to idle.
It hovers at 1100-1200 ish before settling back to 900ish...doesnt waver once its at idle..but it always does that`hovering` thing everytime.

Also,what tire pressures do you guys use?

It's not uncommon for engines to do this, especially in the cold. Although it could be vacuum related or a sticky ICV.

As for TPs

Standard Puma (195/50 VR 15) - Psi (Bar):

Up to 100 mph and short time driving over 100 mph:
Normal load, up to 3 people: Front 29 (2.0), Rear 28 (1.9)
Full load, more than 3 persons: Front 37 (2.5), Rear 41 (2.8 )

For continuous speed over 100 mph:
Normal load, up to 3 people: Front 32 (2.2), Rear 31 (2.1)
Full load, more than 3 persons: Front 40 (2.7), Rear 41 (2.8 )

As a side note - and advice for all people - if tyres are not correctly inflated, ie. over pressured, then insurance companies may refuse to pay out after a crash because the vehicle wasn't set to manufacturer standards thereby altering the handling characteristics blah blah blah.

So in short, be careful when going for super economy by putting 60PSI in your tyres. Also it'll drive like shit.

Idle sounds fairly normal, mine hovers arounds 1100 for a few seconds before settling, as for tyres 28 rear and 29 fronts can up them for short trips in cold weather and up them if heavily loading it to the high 30's. Before stripping the car out I found better fuel economy at 35psi but its not recommended.

Back