Is This Timing Tensioner Correct?

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RoadWarrior

Hi all, done the timing kit & seals from new engine. Had to get flywheel resurfaced as well, as upon stripping it, noticed it's been eating the clutch. :roll:

Anyway, after doing two revulations of the engine, I've noticed when I put the camshaft bar back in (which went in fine) that the left cam, looks slightly off centre?
mAuLT8E.jpg

I marked the flywheel also, and that's going back to TDC where I marked it (I removed spark plug #1 and put a screw driver on top of the piston)
yHyJRwE.jpg

This is the tensioner:

SYyvePE.jpg

kgFCq97.jpg

So, is the intake camshaft slightly off centre when pinning it when putting the bar in? It lines up perfectly with the exhaust cam on the first cylinder, and the bar goes in fine, so I guess its the way it was designed?

I used a GATES timing kit this time from Parkers, which came with the instructions printed out. And £30-£40 cheaper than Ford, which arrived with the pin pulled out! So I just told them to keep it and went and got the Gates one. Always check parts before walking away now, no end of having to take parts back or refuse them due to being used by someone prior. Such as a wishbone with gouge marks from someone whacking it with a hammer.

Also: The instructions never stated anywhere what the top tensioner bolt was to be torqued up to, so I just did it tight and did the little one to 20nm

RoadWarrior said:
[post]369009[/post] ...... Also: The instructions never stated anywhere what the top tensioner bolt was to be torqued up to, so I just did it tight and did the little one to 20nm
If that "top tensioner bolt" is the Belt Retainer Bolt, it should be 9 Nm.

Still says nothing about the torque settings for the second bolt for the tensioner. Only the smaller one that holds the backing plate which is 20nm.

Yeah, the circled bolt with 10 on it is the bolt. I can't find anywhere that states the torque settings for it. I just tightened it without a torque wrench and did the little bolt beside it to the correct toque settings.

The engine is fully assembled now, except for exhaust & gearbox. They both need to go to an engineer for work tomorrow.

Engine is back in and running now. Turned it off and on about a hundred times to make sure timing isn't jumping.

Couple of teething issues, PAS lines are fowling the auxillary belt, so will need to get under it and fix them with metal zip ties.

And it's leaked all the gearbox out the passenger side driveshaft, I guess it didn't seat properly when I put it in last night, not a problem will put it in properly and refill the box. And put something on the road to clear it up. :roll:

Oh yeah, and I guess Ford used different fuel pipes for different years? I had to put the fuel rail from my scrap engine over as the lines were different. The clips I modified wouldn't seat to the rail properly, the nipple looks slightly different on the two engines.

Engine has now done almost 300 miles. No coolant or oil loss. It's all fine. :thumbs:

Engine is from Ian G, a very good strong engine. :grin:

Back