Judder up to 2300rpm

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So I've noticed acceleration low in the rev range has become a bit juddery. Had it plugged in by a mechanic today and it is saying it's to do with the airflow.
I have fitted a Ram Air filter with the standard feed. Has anyone a similar experience when fitting a cone, can it be fixed or am I best going back to the air box?

Or is there something completely different that could be casuing it that wouldn't show when plugged in?

Thanks

At the risk of insulting your intelligence, have you got an air feed going to the cone or is it just sitting in the bay?

Your grand, I'm not an expert in this by any stretch!
No feed, just removed the top of the air box and fitting the cone in. Would fitting the feed in make a difference, not getting enough air perhaps?

I think most people who do this mod take a cold air feed from the front of the car. I'm unsure how much air is taken in by the standard set up, which IIRC gets air from the back of the passenger side wheel arch.

Engine bay temp has more of an impact on a cone filter as far as I'm aware, so it really needs a cold feed of some sort and usually bonnet vents to allow the hot air to flow out of the bay as cold air is pulled in towards the cold.

There are a number of posts on the forum regarding cone filters if you do a quick search. Popular opinion is that an FRP air box mod is most effective, and that cones tend to just give a better noise when you hit the go peddle.

There are plenty more informed than I on here. Hopefully someone will be along to confirm or deny :)

Could also be worth checking that the maf plug is connected properly (mine fell off once and it stupidly took me ages to figure out what was wrong..). Also that everything is connected/sealed properly, so no air escaping between pipe joints etc.

That's good advice there.
Just removing the top of the airbox is not doing much good. As already stated, the standard airbox draws air from the inlet under the NS wing. The inlet is actually pointing towards the back of the car.
So with a cone filter, all the air will be drawn from under the bonnet, which will be hot. Not an ideal way to increase performance.
The FRP has the air inlet at the front of the airbox and is fed cold air from the front of the car via an inlet pipe.
I don't think your setup will be causing the problems though.
Most likely an airleak between MAF and inlet manifold. Could also be the MAF, the inlet air temperature sensor, or Lamba sensor.
Paul

So when I get the car back with the new back box, I'm gonna throw the standard airbox back in first to check that that solves the judder. If it does then I would consider the FRP airbox mod. But just wondering if anyone has done this without cutting the lower grill and fitting a round port. I'd like it to sit behind the grill if possible.

Any pics of your set-ups would be great.

The 'standard' FRP air inlet just sits behind the lower mesh grill under the NS headlamp. Although some people have cut the front bumper and mounted the intake trumpet into that.
On the standard Puma there is space to position the intake behind the lower plastic grill under the NS headlamp.
Paul

feedgrill_zpsd3e30ce7.jpg

Like this :)

Yeah that's it Barry.
The FRP front bumper has that section blanked off. That's where the hole is drilled to mount the inlet.
Paul

That's a great job there. Thanks for that one.
Any photos showing how it was mounted in there and how to connect the hose to the drainpipe would be greatly appreciated if anyone has any.

Cheers fellas.

So went to put the original air box back today to see if stock setup cures the judder, but it seems it was dumped when putting the cone on. New one ordered, but in the mean time, should you use a sealant when connecting the induction pipe / MAF / airbox at all? And if so what?

Thanks

Cold air feeds don't really do much unless the air filter is sealed, and even then its better to take it from somewhere else other than the front grille. What happens is most of the air goes into the grille and doesn't get directed into the air feed. The best place to put a cold air feed (for air supply) is on the bonnet, with its own dedicated grille (like the S1600 pumas). But then you can have a problem with water getting in. I think the FRP air box mod is the best overall option for more air flow.

Back