just a little more of the same.

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi, I have a little 1.4, 79000miles which pulls nicely.
I was wondering if there are some cheapish engine mods which would give a little better acceleration around town.

Hi, thanks, would consider that but the engine I have has 79000 from two lady owners in a 99 car.
You don't know what you are getting with a used engine.

Hi, no way would I sell it, no dents, interior like new. Fantastic engine and no sign of rust.
New shocks all round and rear bushes done. And in black too.
This ones a keeper.

Looks like a Pipercross air filter will be a start.

If your going in the search of performance and consider an engine swop, be different do something new slap a st180 engine and 6 speed box in you won't be disappointed.

Just to remind people what John was actually asking for -

john & Jake the dog said:
[post]345954[/post] Hi, I have a little 1.4, 79000miles which pulls nicely.
I was wondering if there are some cheapish engine mods which would give a little better acceleration around town.
Anyone see any mention of changing the car, engine or gearbox? No, me neither. :)

ITG panel air filter maybe? I'm not a fan of cone filters personally.
Less restrictive exhaust i.e remove the mid box, make sure it's well serviced with good spark plugs?

As above, not sure any of this will overly increase performance but it might make it feel more responsive.

Can never understand why people upgrade their engine on a road car by 10 or 15%.Within a few days you can't even feel the difference.Suspension and brakes and quality tyres maybe if you do trackdays or do really drive hard on the road.Best way to make it quicker is to get a lot of tuition on a track with a good instructor.

Or engine swap as said. I know that's not what's asked, but I agree with the fact that there's not much point doing small mods to gain 10%. Although 10% on 90hp or whatever it is, is considered a good improvement. Anyhow, IMO just a waste of money really - I'm talking from experience.

Problem is that modifying a 1.4 NA engine to produce a noticeable increase in power is big money (cams, ITB's, ECU, etc) Genuinely the cheapest route is to swap the whole car or at least drop a 1.7 lump in. Just so happens i've got 1.7 engine for sale...

Frp483 said:
[post]346497[/post] If your going in the search of performance and consider an engine swop, be different do something new slap a st180 engine and 6 speed box in you won't be disappointed.
I am affraid that wouldn't be easy task. To retain the engine power and functionality is the best to use stock PCM (ECU). Being twin VCT and turbo just mapping it would be a task in itself. So, let's stick with OE PCM (180 Bhp is plenty enough for daily needs in puma IMHO). That brings new set of obstacles.
To control that engine, you need FBW throttle as it wouldn't accept cable. Ok, a standard Ford pedal should do (I guess) and it is not that expensive either. But, it needs CANBus and the gateway for it is the instrument cluster. So, you would need to swap instrument cluster as well. The CANBus in itself is just a two wires affair, but you would have to connect some modules to it or the engine wouldn't work as intended.
It would be really a nice learning exercise to get in the engine you mentioned, but I am affraid we are taking about very long term project there

In my experience of the 1.4, just removing restrictions makes it more nippy. I have a straight through mid pipe, cone filter and cold air feed and it just adds a little bit more grunt. Plus I get a lovely growl at about 3000rpm from the intake.

For a small, low power engine they pull remarkably well, most of that is down to the gearbox, which is much shorter than the 1.7 box in 1st and 2nd. So look at freeing up the revs.

Hi, thanks every one for the advice.
I thought of cams but they cost as much as I paid for the Puma.
I'll try to get it to breath a little easier and see what that brings.

I would stick to a panel filter unless you relocate a cone filter, otherwise it'll be sucking in hotter engine bay air. The standard airboxes are usually very good in cars. A more free flowing panel filter and maybe making the air feed to it better if possible will help the most.

Wild E. Coyote said:
[post]346603[/post]
Frp483 said:
[post]346497[/post] If your going in the search of performance and consider an engine swop, be different do something new slap a st180 engine and 6 speed box in you won't be disappointed.
I am affraid that wouldn't be easy task. To retain the engine power and functionality is the best to use stock PCM (ECU). Being twin VCT and turbo just mapping it would be a task in itself. So, let's stick with OE PCM (180 Bhp is plenty enough for daily needs in puma IMHO). That brings new set of obstacles.
To control that engine, you need FBW throttle as it wouldn't accept cable. Ok, a standard Ford pedal should do (I guess) and it is not that expensive either. But, it needs CANBus and the gateway for it is the instrument cluster. So, you would need to swap instrument cluster as well. The CANBus in itself is just a two wires affair, but you would have to connect some modules to it or the engine wouldn't work as intended.
It would be really a nice learning exercise to get in the engine you mentioned, but I am affraid we are taking about very long term project there

My thought was similar to yourself a hybrid wiring loom making use of required sensors to overcome immobilises etc and run the separate coils, however it looks as if pumaspeed already have a grasp on it, one of their staff is running a 360 bhp St with OMEX 600 ECU, so the knowledge is out there for the right person and project. Let's hope someone takes up the idea I also would love to watch that build.

Back