Just back from the garage......

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rpettigrew

Well I just got back from my local Fraud dealer after having the cat in for a new exhaust and heat shield securing....that in itself was £163. Was a fair bit more but managed to get a decent discount for having a family member work for them.

However.....

they did me a free health check *AHEM*

4 corroded brake pipes - £414
brake fluid change - £36
Some rod that connects to the anti-rollbar - £56
Aux belt looking worn - £58

OUCH.....any idea what these should cost to have done by a non dealer??? I've not got them done as it looks like i have some saving to do....

im guessing the rod to the anti roll bar is the drop link, i did mine for £15... easy as to fit its just undoing 2 bolts.

The brake pipes seem very pricey but the rest seems about right to me

I hate these free 'health checks'. It's just a whole page of misery.

V-Belt (Auxillary) (1.7) - Finis 1041194 - £22.67, May 2008.
Also check the Tensioner (1.7) - Finis 1077687 - £60.51, May 2008.

Drop-links can be done by yourself.

yeh the ford health checks are basically just a del boy style walk round and kick the tyres, proper waste of time and effort!!

PumaJay said:
yeh the ford health checks are basically just a del boy style walk round and kick the tyres, proper waste of time and effort!!

How can you call health checks a proper waste of time and effort ?

Yes Granted they are a way of a main dealer generating more revenue, But only if a customer agrees to the extra work.

would'nt you prefer some one to Highlight issues with your car, rather then let you .. in worse case. Drive down the road fast and brake, only to find out you have no brakes, because your brake pipe bursts, or pads are metal 2 metal,

You dont often get alot free in this world. so my advice take the free health checks, while ya can and if your not happy with the quotes, find new 1's

I actually look forward to the MOT every year, as I'll have confidence that things under me will be safe. Especially for when my kids are in the car.

lol i think your the only man who does.

but like you said it gives you confiedence your car is fit and safe for the road.

Yeah I remember now - It was the "drop link" they mentioned. I'm sure i could maybe do it myself. I'm just not sure where it is and what to look for. If theres any photos out there, i'd apprieciate a look and then consider getting the spanners out!

So what does everyone think a fair price for the brake pipe renewal should be?

seems a steep price for the brake pipes,find out exactly which ones are corroded.Some pipes,especially front to rears can be a right pain to fit as sometimes to do a proper job things like fuel tanks have to be dropped out of the way to route the pipes,they can also be a nightmare in the bulkhead area.As i say ,find out which pipes need changing and get a quote from someone else.

link arms are simple to change,no more than 20 mins per side,only two nuts to undo and do up and you are there.

i dont even know where the link arms are or where they bolt on. once i seen a piccy i am sure i could sort it.

4e78a2a4.jpg

To the left of the strut is a bracket holding the brake hose in place. To the right is a big nut with a vertical metal rod going down to the anti roll bar. There's a little bracket on this holding the ABS sensor wire in position.

That's your drop link / link arms.

frp165 said:
PumaJay said:

How can you call health checks a proper waste of time and effort ?

Yes Granted they are a way of a main dealer generating more revenue, But only if a customer agrees to the extra work.

would'nt you prefer some one to Highlight issues with your car, rather then let you .. in worse case. Drive down the road fast and brake, only to find out you have no brakes, because your brake pipe bursts, or pads are metal 2 metal,

You dont often get alot free in this world. so my advice take the free health checks, while ya can and if your not happy with the quotes, find new 1's

Of course I'd agree with you and say get a FREE check if it's there but you acknowledge that the dealer uses the health check to generate more income so how do you know the issue's they highlight are actual issue's that NEED to be highlighted in the first place and are not just bogus one's to 'scare' you into buying the items they say. Of course your right in saying you can find a second opinion but how many people are actually press-ganged into paying for the so-called issues there and then. I bet quite a few.

My advice is, never mind if you're happy or not with the quote of any work that needs doing, go and get a second opinion ANYWAY. You can always go back to them if they were right and cheaper, but they certainly won't give you any money back if you find out later that the work could have been done for half the price or wasn't required in the first place.

Back