Just for fun :)

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SkyHighatrist

Will a 2.5 V6 from a Ford Cougar drop into my millie :) if not, how much arseache (and how big a shoehorn) would it be to drop it in?
If not, i've seen loads of Fiesta's with Puma engines in there but not too many Puma's converted. Dont get me wrong, i love the 1.7l thats in there already, but imagination wanders . . . . .

There are Fiestas with Puma engines as the pumas engine is the largest of the same family of engines that originally goes in a Fiesta so goes in relatively simply. (That was a bit of a waffle..)

The problem with fitting a "big" engine in a Puma will be it'd unbalance the car, and the handling will go all to pot (Including spikes 5 pot suggestion). A few people (me included) think the all alloy 2 litre Fiesta ST engine would suit the car better as it's not that much heavier. Whilst it may only be 150bhp, about the same as a tuned 1.7 Puma engine - the FRP version - it's easily uprated for more bhp. Even Ford approved mountune kits for 200bhp >link<

The 2.5 V6 cougar engine is only 167bhp and very lazy with it so not really in keeping with the nature of the car in my opinion.

cool, might look into the volvo lump then spike, cheers for the heads up.

Dal, i think you just saved me some pennies there mate, was lookin at a coug lump n havin word with mechs about conversions

spike. said:
why not get a 2.5lt volvo 5 pot, as used in the Focus RS :lol: :lol: :lol:

That engine is too big to fit. It wouldn't even fit in focus Mk1; I remember that the platform for the focus Mk2 was deliberately modified to allow taking in that particular engine which is longer than ANY of the Ford engines, V6's included.....
Also, that was the reason for the Americans NOT taking focus Mk2 to their market and continuing with modified Mk1..... They felt like they wouldn't like paying extra for the premium platform as they saw it since it was use din Volvos C30, S40/V50...... Cheap b.....s :wink:

I would think that the 1.6 turbo of focus Mk3 would be NATURAL candidate for heart transplant in puma. It is small, it is light and produces 180 HP/240 Nm to start with... Probably expensive as hell, though :cry:

The Cougar engine is very long and I don't think the Puma engine bay would be able to accommodate it next time I see my Cougar owning friend I'll have a measure. The Cougar version of the V6 is also the lowest power version! The same engine fitted in the Mondeo ST220 is rated at about 223hp

Duratec V6 is only 3 cylinders wide remember, yes the lower spec versions were only around 170bhp, 200bhp is possible with a remap, induction and optimised exhaust and they are not as heavy as you would think, being all alloy, it would suit the car better than a balls out turbocharged engine and they are an exceptionally smooth and refined engine too. They fit V6's into Corsa's so anything is possible with some engineering.

Why would it suit the car better that a smaller turbo charged application?

Yse they put v6's into corsas but they are rubbish :lol: far to heavy and unbalanced. The LET conversion is more popular and imo better suited to the car

Wild E. Coyote said:
spike. said:

That engine is too big to fit.

Why is that a problem :lol:

2699140647_5b9a0dbba9.jpg

spike. said:
Wild E. Coyote said:
spike. said:

That engine is too big to fit.

Why is that a problem :lol:

2699140647_5b9a0dbba9.jpg

you could always stick it in the back...

http://www.zercustoms.com/news/Cummins-Mini-Cooper.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:grin:

ScubaSteve said:
Why would it suit the car better that a smaller turbo charged application?

Yse they put v6's into corsas but they are rubbish :lol: far to heavy and unbalanced. The LET conversion is more popular and imo better suited to the car

No lag and a nice flat torque curve. Stick a 4 pot turbocharged engine in there with a massive turbo and you'll get lag and a peaky power delivery. There are ways around it of course, but the Duratec V6 is a much nicer engine than the GM offering IMO so i wouldnt discount it straight away, but ultimately its down to personal preference.

The Duratec V6 is a total PITA to work on when its fitted in a Mondeo imagine trying to change the rear bank of plugs if it was fitted in a Puma?! :'(

oilburner said:
The Duratec V6 is a total PITA to work on when its fitted in a Mondeo imagine trying to change the rear bank of plugs if it was fitted in a Puma?! :'(

Easy to change on my 220, 20 minute job. Long life plugs will last longer than the life of a track driven Puma anyway!

Back