Just gota my first Puma :)

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

starfire27

Hi All,

Just picked my first Puma yesterday, its a 1.7 'Black' with the platinum ICE pack. I bought the car from a local garage run by a family friend, the previous owner seems to have spend a few pounds fitting new wheels, drilled front discs, green pads and lowered suspension (not sure what the drop is).

Loving the car to bits so far, Only problem I have had is that the clutch started slipping like hell for a while on the way home but is now back to normal? Any ideas?

Some pics below (sorry just the ones from the garage), opinions welcome.

Thanks

Adam

car1.jpg

car2.jpg

Nice special edition Black you have there :eek:k:

your clutch is on the rivets by the sound of it, thats how mine was, would slip like buggery then seem to be fine, then start slipping again. Needs a new clutch i am afraid. Least you will know its right though.

Nice car!

Thanks for the quick replys, I had feared the worse with the clutch :(

I will get it done next week to be safe.

Almost forgot to ask.. Is there any reason not to remove the resonator? Seems a popular mod.

lol just did a bit of research, I was wondering what that box under the bonnet was! I wonder if it actually works?

I was actually talking about the resonator in the air box tha the FRP`s dont have? I wouldnt mind the extra indution sound gained from removing it but just want to check I wont encounter an down sides to taking it out?

Cheers

My clutch was like that when I first got mine but only happened when I'd thrashed it for a bit then it would work fine after a bit of gentle driving. I did replace it in the end (about 8 months later) for a trip to the Nurburgring and when I checked the old one is was fine. I suppose it didn't help that the taction/torque limiter wasn't working so it would heat up a little quickly from a very quick getaway which the standard clutch does not like at all, thus the reason I think they put the traction control on in the first place....lol.

the way to check if your clutch has had it put the handbrake on engine running stick it in 4th and try letting the clutch up if stalls then its good if not then its dead jim!

The car passes 'The Clutch Test' every time, it stalls no matter now much gas you give it. And touch wood it has been fine for the last day, bit of a mystery.

I wonder if it could be on its way out as some of the posts earlier suggest? I allways though if a clutch was dying it only got worse?

it dose! might be worth havein a look just above the gear box there is a pipe that always leaks goes to top of the rad might be leakin water into the box?!

Thanks I think that may be the case, it started slipping just a bit after I cleaned it today. I will get it to the garage next week and let them check it all over.

New pics below;

001.jpg

002.jpg

003.jpg

004.jpg

005.jpg

Looks like a tidy little car :eek:k:

Nice subtle mods with the wheels, repeaters and suspension.

I'm not a fan of the wheels the Black edition was given but that's just my taste.

Nice car, many congrats.

Just got a new clutch myself - try this to see if it's slipping:

Drive in third gear to 50mph then clutch to change gear but dont - instead let the clutch back out and accel hard, if the revs rise before the car actually accelerates then the cluch is knacked

Thanks guys,

Its definately slipping badly again just seems strange its so on and off, if you take off quickly in 1st you can really see it slip like mad but not much in any other gear.

I know im taking it to the garge at the end of the week but just for piece of mind has anyone got a suggestion as to why I can spot a little bit of oil where I parked the other day, you can see oil on the bottom of what I think is the gear box?

Could this be related? Actual oil levels are all OK!

Thanks Mate :)

The clutch is a bit of a bugger but im lucky enough to have a Dad that's a mechanic so not going to cost more than the parts. I think a £350 bill from 'Mr Clutch' would have been a tad too much.

I got him to give her a quick look over and the oil is just the rocker gasket so nothing too difficult.

Back