Just left my deposit on a "project" . My first ford.

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mcluvinyamom

Hi guys im Ben.

After driving an mg zr around the country for the last year or so i decided enough was enough and i needed a nicer car that was still sporty, economical and nice to look at, but still cheap to insure.
I decided upon a Puma.

Its taken a few months to sell my car and find a puma i was willing to buy.
The one i have decided to buy is black with a decent ish set of alloys and 100k miles.
I have taken her for a 5 minute test drive in which i almost managed to red line her, the conclusion i came to was that the zetec se engine is much nicer to drive than the k series engine im used to.

When taking it for a test drive i noticed the following problems.
The speedo doesn't work,
The back arches have quite a bit of rust
after driving a lowered mg around it feels like im sat on a trampoline while someone is bouncing on it.

apart from these problems, for what i have payed for the car, Ive got a steal.

im a student and have limited funds, what would be the most cost effective way of fixing the faults and, the car needs to be lowered, whats the cheapest way of dropping the car about 40mm. My mg just had springs and no other suspension mods, is this an option for the puma?

I love driving her an i expect to be on here a lot more from now on!

Il take some pics when i pick her up tomorrow.

Welcome aboard :thumbs:

The speedo prob might be related to the speed sensor that has an electric plug onto the gearbox passenger side behind the box iirc. Also there is a dash test mode that involves pressing some buttons you'll have to do a search on here to find out about it.

Arch rust is common and best dealt with by cutting out rusty metal and repalcing with good metal. Some use the arch part of the peugot 206 front wings to repair rear arches, The Peugeot pass front wing is used on the Puma drivers side rear and the Peugeot drivers front wing side is used on the Puma near side.

Should you want them I have a digital dash with 92 k on it that has a working speedo for sale for sale, and I have what I think are 50mm lowered springs that I removed from a car I recently bought. I have 30mm lowered on it now and the springs I took off are much lower.

Dash is £10 plus postage (could do with keeping clear front part off it as my new one has a crack in it)
springs £30 plus postage

People change just the springs the previous owner of mine did. However its better to have new shocks and rubber topmounts it depends on what condition the stuff you have is in

quest63 said:
Welcome aboard :thumbs:

The speedo prob might be related to the speed sensor that has an electric plug onto the gearbox passenger side behind the box iirc
....unless it's an early analogue dash, which means the speedo drive cable may be broken.....

Latest posts

Back