K&N 57i Induction kit

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tekz

I'm currently installing above mentioned kit on my Puma but ran into problems and then it went dark. So tomorrow will hopefully finish it off.

The problem I ran into was attaching the bracket to the battery tray, I don't seem to have two holes in the right place, anyone have any pics or a better installation instruction than the crappy one provided with the kit?

Also, there is a black plastic thing that comes with the kit, not sure where to put that.

Thanks,
tekz

Also, I'm going to keep the original airbox fitted as well as the induction kit, with the oil breather tube connected to the old box,
I think it will be better this way as the old box will filter cold air inside the engine bay as well as the tube that comes with the kit. What I need to know is do I have to modify the kit at all because of this? Like there will be a hole for the breather tube presumably I should patch up / stick something over it?

I found that the bolt holes lined up fine when I fitted mine, was a pain in the ass the do the nuts up mind you. I will take a photo tomorrow and post it for you.

The black plastic thing is to connect the breather pipe to the filter. If you don't connect the pipe to the filter then there is nothing to stop the crap going in to the breather pipe.

I have not fitted the cold air pipe yet as I want to wrap it in some heat shielding to make sure it stays nice and cold! As you have said I have kept the original air box in place as well

As I said will post some pics up tomorrow when I can take them in the light of day

I fitted mine 2days ago, the hole for the bracket isnt actually on the battery tray itself, its in the metal underneath it, thats assuming its the same on the 1.7 but i dont see y it wouldnt be.

thanks focuszetech pictures would really help!

Ricardo, I have the holes on the metal underneath the tray but two holes wont line up. If that makes any sense lol.

Just installed this same kit few weeks ago. My holes didn't line up either on my '98. I just left it there as the hood keeps it kinda put there tbh. I also left the lower part of the orig. airbox and the filter sits there just nice. Why don't ya just connect the oil breather tube to K&N also?

edit: I really didn't like the sound of the K&N kit, might have to remove it someday. A bit too boy racer'ish

Got it on, bit of a bodge job but got the job done!, Sounds meaty :)

I've got a 57i on my 1.7 and I think it sounds great. I've fitted K & N induction kits to a variety of cars I've owned including a mk2 Golf GTi, a mk3 Golf GTi, a Vectra 2.2 SRi and an MG ZR 160 and the Puma is the nicest sounding and least obtrusive of all of them. Mind you it's still not the best. I fitted one to my MG ZS 180 (2.5 V6) and that sounded truly awesome!

MikB23 said:
I've got a 57i on my 1.7 and I think it sounds great. I've fitted K & N induction kits to a variety of cars I've owned including a mk2 Golf GTi, a mk3 Golf GTi, a Vectra 2.2 SRi and an MG ZR 160 and the Puma is the nicest sounding and least obtrusive of all of them. Mind you it's still not the best. I fitted one to my MG ZS 180 (2.5 V6) and that sounded truly awesome!

was that because you was sucking air in to fill a 2.5 litre!!

focuszetec said:
I found that the bolt holes lined up fine when I fitted mine, was a pain in the ass the do the nuts up mind you. I will take a photo tomorrow and post it for you.

The black plastic thing is to connect the breather pipe to the filter. If you don't connect the pipe to the filter then there is nothing to stop the crap going in to the breather pipe.

I have not fitted the cold air pipe yet as I want to wrap it in some heat shielding to make sure it stays nice and cold! As you have said I have kept the original air box in place as well

As I said will post some pics up tomorrow when I can take them in the light of day

Hi FZ,

Did you ever post an photos? I've been considering what filter mods i should do.

Isn't the breather pipe connected to the filter so the induction sucks any gases/fumes out the rocker compartment?

Also, the original post guy didnt mention the electrical connection to the oem filter box. Isn't that the temp probe? so doesn't that also need to be placed inside the air flow? I don't know if the K&N kit has a slot for that.

J

trustafox said:
MikB23 said:

was that because you was sucking air in to fill a 2.5 litre!!

I guess so but combined with a high revving V6 the induction noise was very addictive. As a result the MPG never got much over 20 in that beast!

Breather pipe is that yeah but the air filter doesen't suck, its merely a pressure release tube and oil can drip through it, thus why I left it connected to the bottom part of the old airbox.

The electrical connector is for the MAF (Mass AirFlow unit) sometimes called a MAS or MAFS. It is connected to the induction kit and is well detailed in the instructions and easy to disconnect from old airbox and fit to new air filter (give it a good clean with some carb or circuit board cleaner while you're doing the job).

*Edit* If you're going to not connect the breather tube to the new induction kit and leave it connected to old airbox like I did, make sure you plug the hole on the induction kit where the tube is supposed to go otherwise you will lose pressure and the induction kit will be hampered. I used electrical tape but I'm sure you can figure something better out lol.

Me lazy! :derr:

If you were referring to another temp probe inside the actual original airbox, then I don't know anything about that one, if there is one there, that is.

tekz said:
If you were referring to another temp probe inside the actual original airbox, then I don't know anything about that one, if there is one there, that is.

yes a temperature probe. Local garage said they cut the sheath off and feed it through as you slide filter on. I'm not sure if K&N have a purpose made hole to clip it in.

I don't think I had any temp probe on/in my airbox apart from the MAF sensor, and there wasn't a hole for anything like that on the kit either.

You sure Puma's have another temp probe in the airbox?

the air temp sensor is on the original airbox on the 1.4 and some 1.6 pumas only... car still runs fine without it but mpg might change :roll: im currently looking for a induction kit for my 1.4 puma that has a housing for that sensor :roll: if not then maybe a DIY

I took the air box completely out and used parts of the standard induction set up to make a cold air feel pipe. I also used a mk5/6 transit battery cover

Back