Last night my Megane mainly...

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

red

Administrator
Staff member
...broke down and left me stood at the side of the motorway for 3 hours!

1660838_10153781777850304_1569834582_n.jpg

It just juddered a bit then cut out in the second lane of the M25 just past the M40jct. Managed to safely get it over on to the hard shoulder.

The AA came out within an hour to see if the could repair it, not the fault code read, multimeter or battery charger identified the issue. He did get it started once and we were going to pull it up to the next junction to have a look in a quieter location but it wasn't to be. As soon as I got back in, it stalled and refused to start.

So he then told me that he couldn't tow it on his towing arm because the steering lock wasn't releasing properly. A recovery truck got called and he went on his way.

Turned out I wasn't the only one having a bad night, I heard sirens and saw a police car manoeuvre around my car. What ever happened was literally 200 yards up from where I was stood but I couldnt see anything due to where I was.

Then shortly after I heard some bangs going off, I thought it must be a farmer shooting something but then I heard another set of sirens, 200 yards back from where I was a car was actually on fire!

An ambulance then came past up to the first incident and there was just flashing lights either side!

Eventually the tow truck turned up and hoisted up my car, the driver said the car behind had completely burnt out but it looked like everyone was ok.

We set off to find the 1st incident was involving 3 cars, 2 Mercedes had planted in to the inside barrier and a third looked like something had side swiped it. There was a lot of surface water in the road and I can only assume one of the drivers lost control.

I finally got home at nearly 11pm after setting off at 5pm on a 2 hour journey.

Not sure why I felt the need to write all of that but it gave you something to read / skip / ignore anyway!

Edit: Oh and the Megane is parked outside of the house, last night I couldn't even lock it because the battery had drained from 3 hours of having the sidelights and hazards on. I managed to jump start it earlier and let it run, I can now at least lock it but its not right, it idles but if I try to move it then it will just stall unless I keep the revs maintained.

Oh wow.. this has been off of the road longer than I thought!

I took the car to the garage on the weekend and it's now been looked at. Apparently there's 2 faults, the first causing the cut out being the crankshaft sensor and the second causing a rough idle being the dephaser pulley. Of course whilst the pulley is off they recommend a cambelt change meaning this car will have had 4 cambelt changes in it's life!

They're looking at it today so I've said give it a visual check to make sure there's nothing else blatantly wrong with it and if not just crack on and fix it.

I'll report back with the progress!!

Knowing what's wrong is at least a good start!

Latest posts

Back