LED Headlight Bulbs.

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RICHARD MANSFIELD2

Hi,

I changed my standard head light bulbs to HB3 Ring XENON ULTIMA which worked well but I have had issues with them recently. The dipped beam are not functioning at peak capacity and all four bulb have developed a blister and I fear it will not belong before they pack up.

My question is has any one fitted LED replacements that they could recommend. I have started to research in to LED bulbs but there is such a range and difference in price. I would welcome any advise.

Regards
Richard.

I did try them out and went back. The light pattern was complete s...t and xenons were MUCH better. Plus I had to butcher the rear cover of the headlight to allow for cooling fan as that is needed for LED's. So, for the time being I don't plan on using them again unless some big name (Philips, Osram etc) doesn't produce a bulb

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. I thought the whole concept of LED was that less heat was generated so extra cooling would not be needed. In fact the ring bulbs burnt out and I would argue that they would need additional cooling. I have in my last two homes gone down the road of LED lighting which was a win win situation, so I thought the same would apply to vehicle lighting. I have been on line researching and came up with these.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2pcs-HB3-9005-Bulb-SAMSUNG-15W-LED-Headlight-Daytime-Light-Lamp-DRL-Xenon-White/351833463126?fits=Car+Make%3

I forgot to mention in my last post that the bulbs only lasted nine months and I have today put the original bulbs back and now I can see again.

Regards,
Richard

The biggest factor is that you (and me :grin: ) have a headlight assy that was designed around a light source that is a small piece of wire. This LED bulbs floating around are of a Frankenstein design TRYING to emulate similar light source by placing LEDs all around (and as I have discovered disapointlingly fail) and it just doesn't work. At the moment the xenon lights are much better and much more mature technology.

Regards, Siniša

Another problem with LED headlight bulbs is they are the same as HID's and will fail an MOT, Not a problem as long as you remember to swap them out for standard halogens before you go for test ;) (reminds me, I need to put my HID's back in lol)

Hi Guys

Thanks for your input. Much appreciated. I thought I would experiment I have ordered some of the Samsung bulbs, they are pretty cheep so I not a great deal to loose. They are 6000 lumens I have seen some for 1200 lumens which are probable too high. I will keep you posted.

Regards,
Richard

To be honest Richard, I would stick with normal halogen bulbs.

I've messed around with LEDs for headlights and from what I found it's not easy if at all possible to get LEDs to be as bright or have the beam spread as good as halogen.... not aftermarket anyway.
I'm not an expert and certainly don't have manufacturing capabilities to make 'proper' bulbs, so that's only my personal opinion.... :grin:

Hi
Well you were right and l was wrong. The LED bulbs were dismal. I would have been better off strapping a solar powered garden light to the grill.😁. I will seach for an alternative to the Ring bulbs.

Regards Richard

How about this? HAs anyone tried them? I am being put of by the blue tip, but GE should be a serious name...?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2x-GE-HB3-53060NU-12V-51W-P20d-MEGALIGHT-ULTRA-120-AUTOLAMPE-E-GEPRUFT/202367503383?hash=item2f1e0b0c17:g:URgAAOSwUxhbRwcL

OK I can echo a few of these comments above due to personal experience:
1. Cheap £5 100W "xenon" lights are very poor, in terms of brightness and beam pattern (equiv to 30 W, see later).
2. "Cheap" LED equivalents are as poor as the above in the same ways. (Costing £20 per side, rated 40 W!)
3. I am sure that the cheap "xenons" cause the actual glass to bloat (before blowing and shattering) and the connectors to melt! I have replaced the said connectors with the ceramic types.
4. With the headlights being sanded and polished again! I had an idea of replacing these "xenon 100 W" lights with the original 60 W Osram situated in the the full beam position, swapped and the difference is literally night and day! Full beam is almost the same as normal beam now!

My conclusion: Having made sure my headlights are cleaned (i.e. sanded, polished and aligned, which I have done in the past) and bought the best type of bulb as they were designed for (with exception of the little side lights! LED ones with lenses at the front rule!). I have gone with Osram "Laser Night Breakers", more BS but hoping as they are 60 Watts and an official make they will be better than their 100 W types. (Don't get me started on the eye's response to colour and luminosity levels!)

Reviving the old(ish) thread. Bumped into this:
https://www.philips.co.uk/c-p/11005XUWX2/x-tremeultinon-led-car-headlight-bulb

Philips has produced HB3 LED bulbs. Anyone has any experience with them as they are rather pricey...?

I'd love to try them but tbh I have many expenditures for the Puma currently so wouldn't like to add another.

Alex

Latest posts

Back